Aug 12, 2007

Salty Dog




The world's best dog on one of the world's nicest beaches.

Meet Pepper. Hard-headed MadMax dog!

Blue Heelers are awesome dogs. She loves to surf and chase birds for hours. She's pretty sure that every child she sees, even babies, are her long-lost puppies.

No amount of coaxing could get her to look at the camera and smile. She has an awesome, funny doggie-smile. Little kids run up to her while parents blanche in mild panic, and I have to keep Pepper from rolling onto the ground and begging for a tummy-rub. Then the smiles break out all around and long conversations ensue.

Most little boys run up to me and ask, "is that a wolf?!" You can see the possibility of excitement and worry in their eyes. "Can I pet it?"

"Only if your mom says it's okay. You always need to ask permission, remember."

"Lady, this is the bestest dog I've ever known!!" offers up one fatherless boy, his eyes fixed with so much love on the Blue Dog. Pepper has been doing her magic, just being herself, while the mom and I were talking. And right there and then I want to give my dog to him because I know what good she'd do him. Deep breath. Smile. Keep walking.

She's a great dog with a noble mission: being herself--the bestest dog in the world.

12 comments:

Paul said...

Pepper is a keeper ! :-)

Joan of Argghh! said...

She challenges me daily for my right to be the Alpha Bitch. I'm up for it, though.

David said...

You totally stole that dog from Mad Max (pre-anti-Semite days), didn't you?

Retired Geezer said...

Me and LauraW like you now.

Joan of Argghh! said...

RG and LauraW on my blog? I've hit the big time!

See?=, when you need blog sympathy-hits, always go with a pet. Of course, it helps is your pet is the most amazing dog in the universe!

Joan of Argghh! said...

David, I didn't steal her from Mel! Nobody was more surprised to see reruns of Mad Max and see... Pepper!

She was rescued. She was scheduled for destruction, hardly a year old and had already had pups and heartworms, poor thing.

$1200 later, after heartworm intervention, she's become very dear to the Slack household.

David said...

Poor puppy! (And poor bank account, too--but that's a different story.)

I"m glad you rescued her. She's adorable.

Gecko said...

She is a STAR! My granddfather raised heelers - he was a rancher. They are the bestests and funniest.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Hey, Gecko! Nice to see you here.
:)

Susan in Elk Grove, CA said...

Just linked from Lilek's comment thread on buzz.mn
We adopted an Akita/German Shepherd mix last Feb.....6 years old, rescue dog from the Bay area (as in San Francisco)....he looks big and scary, but tummy rubs are his greatest pleasure, too. His recovery didn't cost quite that much....under $500 after all was said and done. But he's the bestest in our book (even if he doesn't have a clue about playing fetch).
BTW, I like your writing style. Your tenuous hold on reality makes for interesting reading.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Susan, welcome!

Thank you for nice comments. Your dog sounds like a champ! The bigger the dog, the sillier they look when they throw themselves to the ground and beg for attention.
:)

zonker said...

I want a dog so bad. I just don't have the time or the room for a proper dog-sized dog. (I don't want a little yappy thing. I want a proper dog.) Damn it, I've got two cats that I've had for over eleven years now and I've grown to like the furry little bastards but still...I want a dog.