Sep 23, 2007

Anarchy and Other Sports

One of the ghost stories I tell involves privateers and pirates. Much is made of the sticky distinction between privateer and pirate in this town's dialogue, and has to do with British or Spanish extractions within the populace. I find that little has changed from the time of my stories to today. Anarchy isn't all it's cracked up to be, but it sure is interesting.

What would you think of a woman who convinced a bunch of her friends to go in with her on buying a house in the lucrative historic district, only to sell it to her stepson and his wife, taking monthly cash payments in order to pay back (or not) her investors? And each of the investors was listed as a lienholder on the title. And that some mortgage banker conveniently forgot to verify a title search. And that the unsuspecting couple with a new baby thought they were making an investment in their own future, only to find they were supporting an evil stepmom and several lienholders. And they only found out about it when trying to get an equity loan for improvements on the old house. I'm not saying anyone here ever did such a thing, but wouldn't that just be outrageous?

My little town is still up for whatever it can get away with. Not quite anarchy, but I suspect it has a price list of "public services" available to the right person. Just be sure not to become my next ghost story, should you ever decide to set up shop here.

I must remember to tell you about my secret mission to a Carribbean island ruled by a heartless dictator, or the years spent in Mexico City. It makes for a good contrast between drab, lifeless totalitarianism and inventive, self-interested anarchy. (Plus, I learned all the ways that rum can be smuggled out of a distillery. That's gotta be useful some day.)

3 comments:

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

"I must remember to tell you about my secret mission to a Carribbean island ruled by a heartless dictator, or the years spent in Mexico City."

Do you want a reminder or somethin'?
I've been waitin' for...half an hour already!

Nonny said...

Ooh evil story is it true? Why do you tell ghost story's I think I may have missed something?

Nonny said...

O I see I see got it now!