Oct 17, 2007

Veiled References


A bit of ghost hunting tonight! Although I'll be out and about in the city where activity can be iffy, it will be fun to usher folks down the dark streets and into a secret garden. There, you enter through an arbor heavy-laden with Confederate Jasmine into a space presided over by ancient oaks and blessed saints. The moon and stars strain their way through the leaves and down upon the tentative adventurers. Even the bravest shudder for a moment at the palpable stillness in that picture-perfect, eerie moment.

The oldest, original moment of European presence in America happened here. Half a century before Jamestown or Plymouth Rock. The weight of centuries bears down on the heady-sweet garden air, and a young girl quietly reaches for her father's hand; boys laugh nervously, retirees begin taking pictures.

"Wait a moment!" I say, "just... wait."

And it begins...

6 comments:

Jean said...

Mr and Mrs Aspergantus and I want to go on one of those tours!

pamibe said...

Sounds like St. Augustine... ;)

Elisson said...

I'd love to see the reaction if you were to slip one of my Perverted Pieces o' Poetry into one of your ghost tours...

..."What's that, Madge? Ghosts can get Painful Rectal Itch?"...

Suzette said...

Except for the part about the jasmine, it sounds like a Mob hit in the north Jersey.

Joan of Argghh! said...

I've been waiting for the punchlines to start! What took ya'll so long?

Gawd, Suzette, you take the prize, hon!

NOt sure if ghosts can get the itchies, Elisson, although some of them here do like get an itch to tease the ladies.

But I like the idea of the mob hit. It's perfect for my little town. In fact, I'm sure more than one person thought they were on a ghost tour only to find out it was a different sort of party altogether! Hmmm...

Erica said...

I'm with Suzette. I think you should have someone dress up like the Ghost of Clemenza from "The Godfather," carrying some cannolis, in one hand, and a cord in the other.