Dec 19, 2007

Gift Tagged!

Erica tagged me like a re-gifted toaster, so here's my first meme response evah:

1. Wrapping or gift bags? For booze, gift bags. Are there other gifts to give?

2. Real or artificial tree? Fake tree, but home-made ornaments.

3. When do you put up the tree? When the Christmas Shame factor sets in.

4. When do you take the tree down? When the Trailer-trash Shame factor sets in.

5. Do you like eggnog? Yes! Even better with Kahlua. Or rum. Or Wild Turkey. Or Chocolate Vodka.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? A mint-green AMC Javelin, replete with racing stripes. My siblings never forgave me for that. I think my 'rents paid about $600 for it way back when I learned to drive.

7. Do you have a nativity scene? A sweet, traditional scene, a gift from my now-deceased mother. Not expensive, just an intuitive gift from a woman who left nothing to her children... because she never bought a thing for herself. I love it fiercely.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Oh, c'mon...

9. Mail or email Christmas cards? I like to send cards. Doesn't mean I do.

10. Favorite Christmas movie? “The warm glow of electric sex!" (If you have to ask...)

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? When I have money.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Orange Stuff: Large tub of Cool Whip, Large tub of cottage cheese, 2 cans of fruit cocktail, drained, 2 cans of mandarin orange slices, drained, 1 large pack of Orange Jello, pecans, if you like. Mix it all up. Let it chill. Good, and good for ya!

13. Clear lights or colored? Anything that doesn't blink.

14. Favorite Christmas song? O, Holy Night.

15. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Sigh. I don't know anymore...

16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Baileys, Grey Goose, Captain Morgan, Wild Turkey, Johnnie Walker Black, Godiva, Kahlua, and Corona. You bet we can fly!

17. Angel or star on the top of your tree? Angel. I need goals.

18. Open your presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Christmas Eve ever since the nuns told me there wasn't a Santa Claus. I'm the last of eight kids, so mom and dad were glad enough to leave off with the decorating the entire house and hauling out all the presents on Christmas Eve. But having a joyless, undecorated house right up until Christmas morning, when we'd all stumble into the living room and just marvel at all the lights and tinsel and mountain of toys almost as tall as the tree--that was pure magic!

19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? The "shoulds."

20. What do you leave for Santa? A fine Cuesta Rey and a glass of bourbon.

21. Least favorite holiday song? Nope. Not even gonna start an earworm.

22. Do you decorate your tree with any specific theme or color? Ornaments made in the poverty of our early years, ornaments from our time in Mexico, a few things from Cuba, home-made bows and store-bought wooden apple ornaments, strings of pearls and white lights.

23. Favorite ornament? Um... no. Not so much a single thing; the sum of the parts of Christmas can never measure up to the Hope of it:

A Holiday
no longer
Holy
still points
to miracles,
birth
and rebirth,
presents
and Presence.

A Holiday
spent
consumed
carted, crated
and tagged,
straightens its crown,
looks into
a dark stable
of dubious shelter
not understanding
but
not doubting
the brilliant
Mind that pointed
to the
unfathomable
Breath of Heaven--
soft as baby's sigh
hard as Truth
old as Hope...

...and kneels

9 comments:

Erica said...

Girl...

That was one hell of a nice poem. Seriously.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Thanks, Erica.
:)

Mark said...

I'm such a slacker...

Knitting sweaters instead of doing this meme...

Gecko said...

Lovely poem, Joan. Back to slack . . . Happy nog and days off.

Mizz E said...

Pensamientos encantadores del yuletide.


[wv: teusgmem - I don't think so]

Jean said...

Enjoy those lovely days off!
(heh...like I need to tell ya that.)

Anonymous said...

.... excellent poem.... I enjoyed it a lot!.... Merry Christmas!...

Eric

Erica said...

That's what I'm sayin'! It's the kind of poem I could even read more than once, and it'd still be good.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Aw, thanks, Eric and Erica!

:o)