Dec 21, 2007

I Don't Do Camping.

The Jolly Roger has no job at the moment, but he can't really go far because he's waiting for his new job to start. He's off to Jacksonville, getting his head examined today. After so many years of marriage to me, he really should, but this is for his new employer. They need to know if he's mentally stable or something. Sheesh! These people never think to have the spouse come in for the purpose of a truly accurate evaluation. They'd meet me and write down, "what was this guy thinking??"


Besides, in sales, they just need to know if you're starving enough to be motivated. Still, they may call him in to work. Any. Day. Now. Already.

[Update!! Yea! He starts on Christmas Eve! Anybody need a Porsche or Mercedes for Christmas??]

However, with my 5 days off, and my reticence about driving I75 on a holiday weekend, he's suggested we could go camping nearby. Now, after growing up with 5 brothers, and a father who was a Boy Scout leader, and me being a Girl Scout, I've done my share of building fires, roasting marshmallows, and roughing it. After getting married and having a child, I was pretty sure I was NOT going to try and do all the things I normally do in a day, cooking, cleaning up, washing, bathing, etc., except do all this while handicapped by mosquitoes, sand, gnats, bugs, no running water, mouldy sleeping bags, and fire ants.

No. Don't wanna go camping! Wah!

"But we could go hiking!" he suggests, unhelpfully.

We could do that and stay here at night, and sleep in a warm, soft, bed. Without sand. There's national parks all around us. And a beautiful beach. And a hot tub for a relaxing soak after a hard day of slacking and drinking egg nog.

Really. What was he thinking?

2 comments:

Oswegan said...

Can we brainwash him? Well, yes, it appears as though his wife has been doing it successfully for years now. He'll do.

I can go back country for about two nights max. After that, I need hot water.

~Oswegan

GUYK said...

Yep, my idea of camping now is in a travel trailer type camper..with electricity and hot and cold running water and a shower and cable TV hookups and wi-fi...