Dec 30, 2007

I'll See Your Pit Bull and Raise You...

Photo by Pieter Hugo


...a hyena!

A hyena, replete with a murderous and often unmuzzled powerful jaw, that is apparently loved and cuddled by the entire family, including a baby girl.

I have to say, your bad-ass creds would be justifiably represented with such a creature at your command... if you can actually command more than merely contain it.

To me, there is no other creature on earth that is so loathsome as a hyena. The thought of embracing one as a pet just boggles the mind. It can't be good for the hyena or the human.

The photos by Pieter Hugo, taken in Nigeria, are stark and riveting, go see them all, if you can handle it.

Then, go cleanse your visual palate with a visit to the Friday Ark over at the Modulator. Cute kitties and puppies galore!


[ h/t haha.nu ]

12 comments:

Jim - PRS said...

Keeping a hyena as a pet is just so wrong on so many levels. I looked at some of those pictures. I don't think I'll be vacationing in Nigeria any time soon.

Joan of Argghh! said...

It's not a cultural value I can share or welcome, that's for sure.

Mark said...

It has a muzzle on in the vast majority of pics so that ought to tell you something.

They need to move to SF and hang out at the zoo...

Joan of Argghh! said...

He has his hand in the thing's mouth in an equal number of pics, especially the one with the baby girl. Brrr!!

Mark said...

Yeah, I noted that. But the muzzle tells me the hyena isn't at all trustworthy and is probably on except when it's eating or it's "owner" decides to be stupid for a photo-op (which he was probably paid for).

Completely unfair to the animal. But then, having lived in Africa, I am not unaware that animal rights there rank far below human rights. And we know how much human life is valued in the Third World...

Jean said...

Just makes no sense to me... I'll happily stick with the puppy and kitten population.

Peggy U said...

A hyena as a "pet". That will all end in tears.

Erica said...

"A hyena as a 'pet'. That will all end in tears."

Yes, flesh tears. I admit, I knew next to nothing about hyenas before I went to Wikipedia, and now that I know a little, I've come to the decision that I shall not ever own one of those.

And they make scary noises too, don't they? And they're just plain homely. And uncuddly.

julie said...

Did you see the size of the chains they need to hang onto those things? Madness. I suppose, though, that a hyena would be a strong deterrent to other would-be predators; they might make better pets than lions, anyway.

Hammer said...

They look like they are ready for death race 3000...

Oswegan said...

He looks like pretty much of a bad ass to me.

~Oswegan

Peggy U said...

And they're just plain homely. And uncuddly.

They're a whole lot bigger than I realized. I was under the misimpression they were about the size of coyotes. I sure wouldn't want to meet up with one of those (hyenas that is)!