Jan 18, 2008

Charleston Bound...and beyond.

It's very difficult to turn down an invitation from a charming and beautiful young woman that begins like this:

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a sensible woman in possession of a free evening must be in want of a Jane Austen night.

And so, unemployed, I do find myself in possession of many free evenings. I left work early today after tearful good-byes and loaded up my car with only my coffee cup, and all the flowers and good wishes from my co-workers.

I never treat my workplace as though it is home, so there was none of that sad packing of a box with pictures and personal effects. Just a coffee cup and my own personal pen, fiercely guarded all this time. Copied the necessary files and handed them over, deleted all emails, did a few last-minute favors, made sure everyone knew they could call me if they needed something, hugs, and buh-bye. I live two miles away. It's not like they won't see me around.

Away to Charleston, then! I am sure I will freeze my groodies off, but it will be totally worth it to see the newlyweds.

Then off to Atlanta, I think, or Lookout Mountain, depending on where my sister is hunkered down for the winter. Maybe I'll hike through Cloudland Canyon or grab a flight to Bend, Oregon to visit a friend. I still have one or two.

Or maybe I'll just drive to wherever the road calls.

The Jolly Roger says I should call him when I get where I'm going.

I told him I might be a few months...

16 comments:

pamibe said...

Ah, the call of the road. Be safe; I hope you have a blast!

Mizz E said...

Joan, If you find yourself on IH 35 heading South, pick me up and we'll make a run for the border.
Comprende? Be safe!

Erica said...

Have an AWESOME, wonderful time!! You should know, while I was not reading blogs at work, I did show my friend, the Shavster, the mention you made of freezing your groodies off, which is who I got it from, so that gave all of us a good “loff.”

In fact, as we like to say, “are you ’ovvin a loff??”

LauraB said...

Och, be safe and have fun no matter where you wind up - and if it's in TX, I shall be offended to not hear from ye!

joated said...

Enjoy the trip and be safe.

Mark said...

Damn I'm jealous.

Play hard, Joan.

Kim said...

Hey! If you're ever around The Woodlands, Texas north of Houston, come on by!

Have a fabu time. And drive carefully. Don't pick up weirdos. Brush your teeth regularly and eat some veggies.

julie said...

And if you do head for Texas, you may as well keep going west until you get to Arizona, at least :)

Have a wonderful trip, Joan!

Mad William Flint said...

pff. well hell, if you find your way to Brooklyn, gimme a holla.

Erica said...

Dude, you're in Brooklyn??? A few of us are going to Wheeler's tonight...wanna join us?

GUYK said...

HEY! Probably too late now but ya could have stopped by the camp ground here off I 95 on your way north.

Mad William Flint said...

Weird. I thought I posted a comment last night.

I had to stay in. I've been on a bit of a bender this week and frankly I'm not 22 any more so 5 shots of pitrone and 9 goose & ojs sorta wrecked me.

Jean said...

Have a grand time, Joan!
Probably plenty of juicy blog posts in the making : )

Irrelephant said...

Careful with those goodies! Me, I've spent the last week carefully bringing home, a bit at a time, all the little external bits of me that littered my office at work. Now if only I can land another JOB.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Oh! No you didn't!!!??

Irrelephant said...

If that was aimed at me, yes I did. *smile* Bit at a time, piece by piece, that office is now just an office with a verrrry few bits of Irrelephant here and there.