Jan 1, 2008

It's Not November 1st; still...

Totally ripped from Bob, Van's Celtic New Year carries such a sweetness:

I think a bit of Van Morrison goes a long way in making the New Year celebration complete. The Celtic New Year is usually celebrated on November 1st, and that seems much more sensible than cramming all the holidays together in 30 days. Still, the song serves well for the winding down part of January 1, 2008.

It was a beautiful day all around.

The JR proclaimed we would have pancakes--a rarity-- for breakfast and so we had the lightest and fluffiest of pancake recipes, with a few bites of bacon, and elegant Mimosas for breakfast. For the football games, a bit of Hormel Chili w/o beans mixed with melted Velveeta and served with tortilla chips. So WRONG!! Then, of course, a wonderful Roast Beast, braised in a bit of the morning's leftover coffee and few other secret ingredients, its stock reduced down with some mushrooms and Merlot for gravy, a bit of black-eyed peas for good luck, a large pot of sumptuous collard greens, and the Jolly Roger's skillet cornbread--short, crispy, and toothy--finished up the decidedly Southern sensibilities and traditions for the New Year.

Hope the rest of the year is just as delicious, peaceful, and prosperous for you and yours.

13 comments:

lizardbrain said...

Crap. An update 2 days ago broke the flash viewer on my computer, so I can't see or hear what you posted. I'll just hum to myself and pretend.

Your garden of gustatory delights puts to shame the sardine sandwiches I concocted for my New Year's dinner. Digest it in good health.

julie said...

Mmmm, sounds marvelous, Joan! Our dinner is still cooking - a humble beef stew that's been sitting in the crockpot since about 11:00 this morning, to be topped off with biscuits and a bottle of Duckhorn Paraduxx. A tasty and toasty (it's been chilly and gusty here all day) way to bring in the new year.

Thanks for the Van - I missed it at OC yesterday - and I hope you and the Argghh!s have a joyful new year.

Jean said...

Van Morrison... *sigh* ...any time.

Paul (aka Joan's son) said...

Hell, I just got done serving up more black-eye peas and collard greens to Charleston's slavering gastronomes than you could shake a rolling pin at.

Of course, I had to sneak a few bites for myself, I can always use a pinch of good luck, not to mention some of the green stuff.

Still, I wish I could have been there. There's just nothing like a good meal with family...

Happy New Year, y'all!

Joan of Argghh! said...

Hope you and your bride are staying warm, Paul. HNY to you both!

Also, esquincle, and all you others out there who haven't figured out that you can sign in to comment by using the drop-down menu below, where it says, "choose an identity"... it ain't that hard to authenticate your comments. TypeKey, WordPress, even A-freakin'-OL and LiveJournal.

Once you sign in, you can float around the 'sphere and not have to re-create yourself at every blogspot blog.

Michelle said...

Thanks Joan, first Van of 2008 for me!

nonny said...

I love Van I actually don't know anybody who does not like him.


Hope you had a fabulous Christmas and New Years. The very best of luck for the year ahead Miss Joan!!

lizardbrain said...

Yay! Flash is fixed, now I can see and hear Van. His voice instantly brought me back to the sixties.

Thanx, Joan, for the mini sign-in tutorial. I've just been using the "Nickname" option. I didn't realize I could sign in using my WordPress identity.

Oswegan said...

I read Bob's post and I was like: "Huh?"

Good thing I became a lawyer.

~Oswegan

Joan of Argghh! said...

Bob and the Raccoons are an acquired taste, Os. And you absolutely must love puns, and deep esoteric ramblings.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

We had chops n' grog. Simple yet tasty.
But yers sounded good too!
Mebbe I shoulda thrown in some of those black-eyed peas fer luck.

Oh well, I always got the grog...

Happy New Years Joan, JR, Paul n' wife! :^)

Elisson said...

Van Morrison and Roast Beast. Sounds like an excellent time! Happy New Year to you and the Legendary J. R.!

Joan of Argghh! said...

Ohh! JR will love being legendary!

There's certainly enough pics of him with the blodgerettes to certify the appellation. Heh.