Jan 20, 2008

Ladybugs!

My room is host to about a dozen ladybugs!! I think it's a sign.

I mentioned it to the desk clerk, and she offered me another room, but I turned her down. She related to me that in Virginia, it is illegal to exterminate ladybugs.

And so, looking like the artificial shoe-prints on a dance-floor diagram, they move about in some sort of angry tango on my hotel room window pane. They must love the bigness of this gibbous moon, nearly full, as it rises over the ridges of middle Virgina.

Going to be a cold one. Hope the little dotty bugs survive the cold pane plain they've settled on.

How they got to room 317 at the Holiday Inn Express, I'll never know.

Other notes: Pedro's South of the Border complex in South Caroloina is HUGE. The signs leading up to it are surreal: "Virgin Sturgeon and Unused Bagels!"

I safely motored past without stopping. Of course, I haven't figured out North Caroloina's fascination with WIGS! once I crossed the border

10 comments:

Irrelephant said...

It's a sign. A good one. *s*

Joan of Argghh! said...

Better Ladybugs than bedbugs!
:o)

Holder said...

Pedros- with 200 gas pumps and a roller coaster? What more could a traveler want?

Lady bugs are good luck, I heard, but they do come inside right before a weather change- stay warm.

Teresa said...

Ladybugs generally stick to one side of the building - mostly the "afternoon side" because that tends to be the warmest. They can be annoying and some of them do bite - so be careful!

Of course they're smaller than box elder bugs - which are also harmless, but annoying. Anyhow, hope you're having a good time otherwise.

Peggy U said...

My daughter had a friend who lived in an older house, and she had an infestation of ladybugs one winter. They were just everywhere! Anything in large enough quantities can be creepifying.

GLASR said...

Lady Bugs? Hmmmmmmmmm, check your bags before you leave, see if any of them are stalking uh, um, ah I mean hitcher, ah, no if they like you and want to come home with you. ;~)


Put on your Brit accent and do this WoVeri: aifugv.

GUYK said...

"Virgin Sturgeon and Unused Bagels!"

I would a stopped! I want to see that virgin Sturgeon..now that would be a novelty for Ripley's Believe It or What

The Maximum Leader said...

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to kill Ladybugs in my great Commonwealth. Really... Not like I have or anything... Not like the "authorities" could find any of the carcasses of the ladybugs I didn't kill...

Robin Starfish said...

Damn, I love good travelogues. Circle the earth.

Peggy U said...

How can you tell if a sturgeon is a virgin? Sounds like a scam to me!