Feb 27, 2008

Dammit, GOP, Where ARE You??!!

I keep waiting and wondering where the GOP leaders are, who will stand in the places left empty by the passing of great minds like William F. Buckley, Jr. May he rest in decided peace, if he can get used to the idea.

Thomas Sowell may have the staying power and likability necessary to win over a newer audience, but I think there is less patience for following logic in the public discourse these days.

The NYT's article is not a bad write up, actually, and I think it would take quite a while to detail all the wonder that was his life and his influence. I loved his spy novels, especially.

I'm all over the map in my thoughts here, and I'll need to sort it out in a later post. But dammit, the yawning abyss left by his departure cannot be filled by Newt, or Sowell, or Safire.

He'll be missed. Maybe his passing will remind the GOP that nobody lives forever, and they'd better get busy procreating true Republicans before they vanish altogether.

Because I'd really like to vote for a real Republican again some day.

Godspeed, Mr. Buckley.

Update: Zombyboy has a very nice post with some excellent thoughts and links, including one to me (which is very nice of him), and reminds me that the answer to my question is likely not to be any time soon:

History simply doesn’t gift us with an overabundance of figures like these...


No, I guess not.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because I'd really like to vote for a real Republican again some day.

Oh, so would I!!! And I've written letters to the RNC to that effect. However, even with the lack of current GOP leadership, it is good to know that there are others out there who are of a like mind. That's one reason I appreciate your and Denny's blogs. So at risk of starting you off on another "nice" day, I'd like to say "Thanks!"

julie said...

The world is a lesser place for his passing.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Anon, thanks, friend. Yeah, I think I'm coming down with a cold, which would explain the grumpy mood! Welcome here. Denny's good peeps, an admirable man. That you place me anywhere near him is a compliment.

Julie, we don't know what we've got 'til it's gone. Too true.

GUYK said...

I'm not even sure what "real republican" means anymore. It used to mean a political philosophy that I could embrace..one that stood for as little governmental intervention in ones life as possible. It was a philosophy that called for us to be self sufficient and accept responsibility for our actions. It was a philosophy that was based on a strict compliance with the constitution.

What does the GOP stand for now? On one hand they say lower taxes but yet when they continue to spend money and create a multi-trillion national debt they are lowering our buying power just as much as they would have if they raised taxes. The GOP claims they are stronger that the dim-a-crits on National Defense..probably yet they will do nothing to control the southern borders nor take action to identify and deport some 20 million illegal aliens. The republicans controlled the white house and congress for six years..and did little except to run up the national debt and put up smoke screens arguing over flag burning and such to cover that they were doing nothing.

Of course the dim-a-crits are no better..even worse..and that is why I am ready and willing to support a new political party..one that stands for the traditional values that made this country what it is today..freedom. A guarantee of equal opportunity...not a guarantee of equal success.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Well said, Joan.
I think most of our best prospects are just too smart to get into politics.
It's a major sacrifice for a principled, upstanding classic liberal/conservative/jacksonian to put him or herself AND their family through the sewers of present day politics.
McCain/Feingold makes it virtually impossible for the best prospects to break in.
It's gonna get worse before it gets better, but there is always hope, as long as we have folks like you Joan, and your many excellent commenters like GuyK, who won't go down without a fight.
Our patriotism is gonna be tested, as it always will be.