Feb 7, 2008

Pepper Dog in Pain



I know I haven't posted many pics of the Pepper Dog recently, or my trip to D.C., but that's only because like an idiot, I left my camera at a friend's house in D.C. Doh!

Tuesday Pepper and I went for a walk and a swim at the beach, where she ran and ran and surfed and generally kept all the birds busily flapping away from her. Wednesday afternoon, we went out for a short walk and upon returning, Pepper was very slow going up the stairs.

Hah! Out of shape for a four year-old! A bit later she sat up on her haunches to give me her paws to play with, and went totally limp, yelping in pain, and whimpered for a good bit afterwards.

This morning, I was awakened by the sound of a woman being murdered. I was sure that's what it was. Honestly, the shrieking yelp that came out of Pepper was like nothing I'd ever heard before. The vet was open at 7:00am, so away we went.

Blood tests, x-rays, pain meds, and $270 later we're not sure. It seems she has a degenerative condition in her spine, ominously visible in the x-rays. It may be an infection, it could be an early onset of arthritis, it might be something else. But two of her discs are a mess.

We don't know the history of the first year of her life. When we adopted her, she had just had a litter of pups as the result of some nefarious Rottweiller twice her size. And she had heartworms, too, and so has had the whole arsenic routine to survive as well.

Poor puppy!

Home from the vet's, she got out of the car here at the Pirate Palapa, saw a squirrel ---her arch-nemesis--- and gave him very stern looks... and sat down. She's at the bottom of the stairs even now, asleep in the foyer and unwilling to face the pain of climbing up.

Damn.

19 comments:

pamibe said...

I'm so sorry the Pepper pooch is not feeling well... did the doc prescribe some metacam or anything?

Is she on glucosamine? Did he think she just really overdid it that one day and the discs will settle down again in a few days?

Zoe had degenerative disc disease, and twice had to be crated for 8 weeks to restrict her movement so the discs could heal and she could get back to normal. Yeah, the pain is BAD.

Hugs to Pepper!

Joan of Argghh! said...

She's on some happy pills at the moment. Blood tests will come back tomorrow, but the vet was truly puzzled by the x-rays.

You give me hope that maybe this will be temporary, and I'm just holding my breath until we know more.

Thanks for your note.

joated said...

Sorry to hear about Pepper's ailment(s).

As with having a very small child, it hurts like heck when you can't relieve the pain ans suffering immediately.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Teresa said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry. I hope they can find the problem and get her out of pain. Sending some gentle pets for the puppy.

LauraB said...

Jesu, we're in a very similar situation here! I totally know your feelings of helplessness and fear. And the pocketbook whackadoo.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and dear Pepper Girl!

julie said...

Poor sweet pooch. My thoughts and prayers are with her, too, and I'm sure if they knew my girls would send a couple of doggy kisses in her direction. I hope the vets are able to help her!

Joan of Argghh! said...

Aw, she just hurts so much right now!

Crap!!!

Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts, gang.

:/

Mark said...

Aw, Joan, I'm so sorry to hear this. Give her a scratch for me. I hope something can be done for her, and soon...

:o(>

Peggy U said...

It's so hard to watch someone you love suffer without being able to help! Hope she is back to chasing squirrels soon!

Jean said...

aw, the poor baby. I hope it is an easy fix for her.
So sorry.

Erica said...

No words, Joanie. Hopefully, what Pam said is the case, and you will be given a glimmer of hope. I'm willing lots of optimistic thoughts in yours & Pepper Dog's direction.

Mizz E said...

Crap is right. If the happy pills aren't making her happy, time to get some heavy duty drugs. Then you can have a grog and get some sleep too. Keep us posted please.

Joan of Argghh! said...

I'm loading her up on the pain meds and muscle relaxers, according to scripts, but she's still so uncomfy.

I put her food and a soft rug at the bottom of the stairs... but she's so lonely and unhappy. *snif!*

I am such.a.puss. I can't take this. I've got no armor or defense against it. Shit. SHIT!!!

Okay. I'm better now. Just can't post this out loud. Lord knows, I've been in similar circumstances with MY back, and I howl just the same. I whimper when I move during those times.

I pray that she, like me, will find that she'll be okay most of the time, and can run and play with me again. Crap.

Michelle said...

You and she are in my thoughts!

Jim - PRS said...

Really sorry to hear this.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Helplessness is the worst kind of pain.
I'll be prayin' for Pepper Dog, Joan.
I hope the vet can diagnose and treat her soon.

Linda said...

I had a dachsund, known for their back troubles, have disc surgery not once but twice. She actually because paralyzed before the surgery, couldn't use her back legs. Both surgeries, about 4 years apart, were sucessful and she lived a long and happy life. Each surgery cost $2000-but we had to do it.

Quality Weenie said...

Came via the carnival at Pam's ...

Poor baby, my puppers send her licks and kisses.

Have you thought about going to a doggie chiropractor to see if they can help her.

yes, they do have doggie chiropractors. Or even a holistic vet to see if they can do something even more (alot of holistic vets are dog chiropractor trained as well).

Peter said...

The Pug we adopted from Dallas Pug Rescue has bad arthritus and is picky about pills. So we give her a glucosimine and an 81 mg. aspirin wrapped in Braunschweiger or plain ol' liverwurst.
Then at night she gets another aspirin. Now I don't know how picky your Pepper Girl is about pills but the Braunscheiger always works. The only trouble is that the other dogs want some too. So they just get liverwurst pills, liverwurst cleverly hidden inside liverwurst.