Feb 21, 2008

Water, Water Everywhere

If I had just plopped down into this society from the not-too-distant past, I would surmise that there was some sort of need for a person to always have a bottle of water pressed to one's lips. Not just when exerting oneself physically, but everywhere and at all times; in stores, at work, in a meeting, at church.

When did we enter the Era of Thirst? I see women and men working a casual affectation of The Need for Water. It's not like we used to see people lined up at water fountains just a few years ago. By today's observance, you'd think that back in the day we would have had water fountains on every street corner just to meet the Dire Need for Water.

It's stupid enough to pay more for water than for fuel, but I have to marvel at the genius of those marketers who created The Need and are laughing all the way to the bank. Now, we must, MUST have water or we will be relegated to the back bench of the fashionistas, derided on the red carpet of consumerism and possibly will contract some sort of awful cancer if we don't have water available at every moment.

I grew up in an era where your track coach would run you for 90 minutes without so much as a sip of water. Probably not healthy, in Florida, in 100 degree heat. Suck it up and run!

I'm not saying it's not healthy to drink water, when necessary. But really, is it necessary all the time?

Hydration is important, but that's why God made sweet tea on the Seventh Day.

6 comments:

pamibe said...

LOL! That's why the coach gave out salt tablets... :D

Erica said...

It is a rather strange phenomenon...though my choice of bevvy to be seen with is a refreshing Iced Coffee, half & half, with 2-3 Splendas.

[Andy Griffith]Mmmmmmmmm-mmm.[/Andy Griffith]

GUYK said...

Evian is Naive spelled backwards...

nonny said...

I drinkl a lot of water but I don;t carry it around like a fashion accesory, some people are utter tools, like those people with their take away coffee's.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Whoa there, Nonny! That's just crazy talk! Nobody said anything about coffee. That's the Holy Grail of Life here.

Okay peeps, ya'll just back away and don't hurt Nonny... she doesn't know what she's saying!

You know, I was so surprised and relieved when visiting London, to find that everyone drank coffee at breakfast. And after being awake for over 30 hours, finding a Starbucks (which I never patronize) was enough to make me nearly cry with joy!

Francis W. Porretto said...

Well, for some of us, The Need is real.

I'm a type II diabetic. To avoid having to take glucophage, to which I'm allergic, I have to eat a very-low-carbohydrate diet. But such a diet involves an unusually rapid buildup of waste products in the body -- and the one way to get them moving toward the exits is to drink lots and lots of water.

There are undesired unintended consequences. (My employer's anti-drug policy instructs us to be suspicious of people who are in the restrooms unusually frequently.) But the alternative is worse, so I keep my Eddie Bauer liter-size sports bottle, and my kidneys, well filled at all times.

(This getting-old stuff is a bitch.)