Mar 17, 2008

Job Redirect, Chapter 27

The longed-for job in art sales never amounted to enough hours. I loved the work, the people, the tourists, but just never had enough to do. After 5 weeks I was still only getting about 8 - 15 hours a week. It would've been okay but it just wasn't enough to really sink my teeth into.

So my two months' worth of slack left me with plenty of time to consider my next move in my career. The thought of the huge corporate path now left me with the cold sweats, when just two months ago I thought I'd snagged a big fish in that ocean (I was spared!).

The idea of the manic commute to the big city north of here wasn't floating my boat either, not with the price of gas. But the opportunities in a small tourist town don't lend themselves for many Marketing/Admin jobs that haven't been snapped up in the alarming crush of new residents; refugees from the Big City to the North. It's mostly mom and pop businesses here that can't afford much in the way of pay or benefits.

But yesterday I found my job, staring back at me from the want ads. "Non-profit organization needs office manager." I Googled the fax number, found out the name of the very laudable organization, (hmmm... six miles from home) dug a bit deeper and found an email address and a name. I emailed my resume with a subject line that read, "I want this job!" interviewed today, and tomorrow I start. At the same pay I was making at my last full time job... Believe It or Not!

20 comments:

julie said...

That's great news! Congratulations, Joan - I hope it works out perfectly.

Jean said...

Well...BIG congratulations!!
I hope you love it. :-)

Joan of Argghh! said...

Well, it's still doing office work, but with a completely different mindset and outlook. It's a socially worthy work with an org that is welcomed around the world.

And if I can't have what I really want, I might as well help others get what they truly need.

It's very familiar work, I just haven't done it in years.

:o)

pamibe said...

Wow, congratulations!! Sounds great! :)

Erica said...

How awesome for you! Joanie, you are one fah-bu, go-gettin' chickster...knock 'em dead, bubele.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Now we gotta take all these good vibes and send 'em towards Jean!!

You're up next, Jean!

Gecko said...

Congratch, Joan, they're lucky to have you. Hope that it suits you.

LauraB said...

Well done! That's the way to do it - baffle them with brilliance. And I love the workaround to get the Right Name and email. LOL Slick - that's what we ought to call you. Congrats!

Jim Ryan said...

CongrArgghulations! "I'm Ms. Argghh, here for my 3:00 interview..."

Jim - PRS said...

Congrats. Best of luck with da new gig.

Teresa said...

Best of luck with the new job. Every once in a while something has to go right. *grin*

Anonymous said...

Does the non profit have the words institute or global in it's moniker? If you answered yes, you're now working for the chicoms! HA! ;~)

Robin Starfish said...

I believe! Way to go Joan! That's one lucky organization.

boneman said...

Hi! From fellow "nudist" blogger, boneman.

Congrats on the job find! That it was a close one HAS to feel good!
Can I be lazy and ask what the city to the North is, or, should I go look at the profile and such?

I reckon now's as good a time as any to get off m'lazt button clicking mitt and go look....

Van said...

Now that's the kind of news I like to hear. Congratulations!

LeeAnn said...

Bravo zulu! Just don't leave your pudding cup unattended, it might get snatched.
So to speak. :)

KeesKennis said...

Happy for you.
How about a loan?

GUYK said...

GREAT! And you can stay in the land of the sonny beaches, right?

Nancy said...

Oh, WELL DONE!

It is always good to get a job you not only need, but think you will be happy doing.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Cool! I guess it really does pay to hold out for management.
Kudos, Joan! :^)