Mar 2, 2008

The Right Shade of Red


Amelia Earhart's airplane pictured here, this gorgeous Lockheed Vega, is just the right shade of red. It says more about her than all I've ever read in the history books. In fact, I had no idea at all that her plane was this color. Stunning red. It's just one of the relatively few pics I took while at the Smithsonian. Lots of pics were of engines and turbines, just because I love 'em. Here's a favorite:


For the Irrelephant, I took a picture of the Spirit of St. Louis, (got the Wright Bros plane, too!) which was cool. But equally cool was the spinner cap, signed by friends and crew on both sides of the Atlantic. What a daring mortal was Lindberg! I can't wrap my mind around the reality of it, and that's no slam against Jimmy Stewart's fine portrayal of the deed. It's just too awesome.

Update: NO! NOT a symbol of German Fascism! It's a propeller symbol. Don't make me 'splain it. Go find out for yourself. (Mr. BaggiePants is in pain, so he gets a pass on this.)

But c'mon! Would you cross 3,000 miles of ocean in that?



So many airplanes and space vehicles! And rockets that were essentially the equivalent of strapping a trashcan full of dynamite to your ass and lighting it off.

What do we have today that would be like buying a plane, painting it by-god RED, lowering the goggles over your coif and makeup and flying into history with your scarf streaming behind you?

The little Miata will have to do for now. It's also the right shade of red. History can wait, though.

Meanwhile, my tootsies enjoyed the First of March at the beach. I think dear Rob Smith would approve of some toe pr0n on a lovely weekend like this. I think he'd like the name of this shade of red also: "Please Don't Think I'm a Waitress."



21 comments:

Mad William Flint said...

Dems some rather particularly cute tootsies.

Old Cloots said...

I got to see the Lockheed Electra flying back in to Oakland Airport when that gal did the re-creation of Amelia's attempted circumnavigation. It was a pretty cool sight. I didn't know she was coming in that day after her around the world jaunt, it was just one of those right-place, right times things.

I love a woman in red.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Cloots,Pah! You just love women.

Mr. Flint, why, thank you!

:o)

Irrelephant said...

Joan, you are a saint! Like you said, there's something about slipping on those goggles, tossing the silk scarf darlingly over your shoulder and wedging yourself into your GeeBee or shouting "Contact!" at your ground crewman standing ably at the prop of your Sopwith Pup. So much has been lost to modernization and the pursuit of fasterbettermore.

Thank you again, dear! GODS I love that red too!

LauraB said...

OMG. You remind me that I have to actually show off my feet soon...foot maintenance is a pain...but spring approaches and with it sandals...pretty color!!

nonny said...

I love red, shinny, shinny red. I have the shiniest reddest shoes you could ever imagine but how my friends laugh and mock me, like when we are waiting on a taxi they might shout hey Nonny click your shoes together and say “there’s no place like home, there’s no place like home” Bitches that they are.

You are good at putting nail varnish on you wigglers, I have to pay someone to do that for me!

Bye they way it is -1 here. any room at the inn?

Abbadon said...

You just love women.

Yes. Yes I do.

How oddly apropos that someone chose a swastika (presumably as a good luck symbol since this was a few years before Hitler co-opted and corrupted the ancient symbol) for Lindbergh's plane given his anti-Semitic leanings...

Abbadon said...

Woops, apparently the Nazis adopted the swastika in 1920, before Lindbergh's flight.

But that's still not to say that is why Lindbergh used it, of course. It's just one of those ironic twists of fate.

Jack said...

I love the Smithsonian.

Mike said...

It's not fair to the rest of us to post pictures that hint at warmth.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Hullo, Jack and Mike.

Yeah, sorry it's been so warm and lovely here. There is a downside to it. The place fills up with refugees from Toronto and New Jersey...

:o)

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yo, Cloots. You got it all wrong. See my update and then get busy googling "Propeller symbol."

Abbadon said...

Joan - I very clearly said it was no doubt chosen:

(presumably as a good luck symbol since this was a few years before Hitler co-opted and corrupted the ancient symbol)

The symbol is an ancient one, called a swastika, I never said it was on Lindbergh's plane as a symbol of Nazi fascism, and I provided a link showing that aviators favored the symbol as a good luck charm.

I did say it was ironic in light of Lindbergh's anti-Semitic leanings.

Sheesh...

Joan of Argghh! said...

Well, I'll grant that I'm wrong to have assumed you were taking this somewhere unnecessary with your useful observations.

Just hate to come home after a hard day to find "swastika" and anti-semitism in my comments.

Forgive me.

Abbadon said...

Hey, Joan, I'm sorry it started going this way. I only meant it as an observation on irony, nothing more complex than that. I respect your blog, and I'm sorry if my comments caused you any discomfort.

Welcome home.

:o)>

Joan of Argghh! said...

Oh, no, Mr. Abaddon! We're gonna go there, now!!

Ha! On a lark, I googled up "Amelia Earhart Communist," what with her plane being RED and all... and thought, wouldn't it be ironic...

Good grief, just look!.

LOL!! It's all good, Mark! Now go get busy spiffing up your new blog home.

:o)
.

Joan of Argghh! said...

And really, the whole point of my post was to show off my purty tootsies!

::pout::

Abbadon said...

Which I commented on and complimnented you for.

Amelia Earhart's plane for the circumnavigation attempt was silver, if that means anything...

:o)>

Joan of Argghh! said...

Heh. Gimme a minute...

Hammer said...

What a cool trip. I need to go someday.

Irrelephant said...

Joan, I've already been dubbed a closet foot-fetishist (I'm not, honest!) by a very dear friend of mine so I was going to withhold commenting on the cute feet.

Damnit, I gone and done it.