May 14, 2008

Jellyfish Stings...

really, sting. Quite a bit.

Not having learned my last lesson at the beach, both Pepper Dog and I ventured out today after work. She, to bark at and chase birds or swim after them, and I, just to enjoy sunlight. Both of us were barefoot, too. The water was wild, the waves were immense and disorganized, the sun warm and the air deliciously cool.

It was all perfect until Pepper Dog came out of the water dragging her back leg like it was paralyzed. In the end, she seemed to recover mostly, with a slight drag of a toenail. In my worry for her, I didn't notice the pain in my own feet until halfway home.

The surf must've been full of baby jellyfish, maybe even a big one that stung the dog, although she never once complained or yelped.

Florida. A veritable paradise if you don't mind mosquitoes, sharks, fires, bugs, heat, mildew, old farts in slow cars, obnoxious Yankee retirees, hurricanes, and pine sap on your car.

Update: ...and love bugs. Thanks, Stacy!

10 comments:

Stacy said...

Don't forget the Fucking Love Bugs. They deserve a specific mention.

Mike Wilson said...

You must read a lot of Hiaasen and listen to Mofro.

Jean said...

I've always heard that the lifeguards keep Adolph's meat tenderizer to apply to jelly-fish stings.

Sorry you and the puppy are hurting.

(thanks for the blurb and link the other day, Joan. I got quite a slackalanche goin'!)

zombyboy said...

Remind me to stay out of the water next time I'm down your way. I've avoided fishing hooks, stings, bites, and pinches thus far and I'd hate to ruin my good record.

Erica said...

Don't tell me, alligators are invited guests at your kitchen table?

Joanie, I do hope you and Pepper Dog are feeling well...better than yesterday, at least. I am scared to freaking *death* of jellyfish, and the flying roaches.

Having never been stung or attacked by either, respectively, I would like to keep it that way, so Florida is definitely not a retirement option for this Trolley Dodger (just because Yankee is such a bad woid).

Joan of Argghh! said...

Don't forget the fires, Erica!

joated said...

You forgot the fire ants. Those are always fun.

Anonymous said...

Quite frankly ................

Joan of Argghh! said...

Aw, c'mon NJ Anonymous! You can do better than that!

GUYK said...

Might have been those Portuguese Man o War things..I got into them at Daytona one time..sting like fire