Jun 10, 2008

Bikini Therapy! or, You Need a Raise

Bikini Therapy. In light of my post below, and the synchronicity of the Internets, Glenn Reynolds just posted a whole new Medicinal Purposes category link:

Bikinis and other sexy stimuli can make men more prone to seek immediate gratification - leading to blown diets, budgets and bank accounts, new research suggests...

men alternately fondled t-shirts and bras. After touching the bras, men valued the future less and the present more...
And apparently, the pleasure center must be entertained if men are to become all that they can be:
they exhibited improved cognition and creativity after exposure to sexy stimuli.

Now guys, before you try to convince your boss that you need to surf pron at work, keep reading:

Van Den Bergh and colleagues rendered the bikini-effect powerless by satiating the stirred appetite with a different type of reward - financial security.

...

When the men felt well-off, the bikinis lost their influence. But if they considered themselves among the have-nots, they were likely to seek immediate gratification after seeing women running in bikinis.

So apparently, guys, there needs to be healthy doses of sex and money around, "for medicinal purposes."

You need a raise. *ahem* Science is here to help.

5 comments:

Irrelephant said...

Raise. Heh. Stimuli. Heh heh. Heh. Mmmmmm, bikinis.

Joan of Argghh! said...

See there? You're all set for success now!

Irrelephant said...

Can I wear my bright red power tie? I've already packed my parachute--ashamed to tell you what colour it is. I'm ready to go out there and not worry about who moved my cheese. Gonna give them the pickle and see if I can't win friends and influence people with the 47 Immutable Laws of Power when I Go Fish.

wontletlifedefineme said...

My boyfriend is getting a big raise over the next two years, does that mean my personal bikini effect will be rendered useless?! Help!

-Marjolein

Joan of Argghh! said...

Marj, I have no idea! It's best to err on the side of caution, however, and make sure he has you for the beneficiary of his life insurance policy.