Jul 7, 2008

143 Days

Google it. Come back and tell me what you think. (Updates below.)

Do I have to do all the work on this blog? I already do everyone else's job at my job.


Somebody cut me some slack and leave some sorta pithy comment on this.

*****

Update: My readers are pithing all over this:

Michelle got intense with her googling. Except for the dateline, this could actually work in the context of a political drought: PHOENIX—A good old-fashion downpour in the predawn here today ended a record string of 143 days without rain.

Well, we're knee-deep in something or other, that's for sure.

Pamibe: I'm out of pith, but have plenty of hope. And change.

No need for a pith-helmet then.

LauraB has done yoeman's work in finding this guy. Might best be read in a safe, padded cell: Two-four

Jimbo cuts to the chase: Well, he was "present" for much of it. Nice summary, Counsel.

*****

Aha! I've drawn out the 'mouse! Here's his best pith (empahses mine. prob'ly his, too) :

I would gladly pay twice the taxes I paid pre-W if it meant I could live in a world where California wasn't 48th in education polls (used to be #2 or #3 before that sacred cow, Prop 13 "cut taxes" oh so many years ago). Oh for the days back when they didn't have to scrape with a fucking lottery to pay for essentials like school. Oh, and to have back a world where regulators regulated and you could get a home loan for an amount equal to 3X your annual income and no more.

Do I think a democrat will fix things? No. Do I think deregulating and lowering taxes has ever helped anything? No. I think Ronald Reagan and George Bush II have done more damage to this country in my lifetime than any democrat ever.

I had a long answer and erased it. "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still. And besides, I have a root canal waiting for me in the morning, so politics is the last thing I care about right now.

Basically, I blame all the bankers and speculators who searched for a Messiah and found one in Greenspan. Presidents meant nothing to them. Still don't. The wayward financiers and day traders have a complicated life and want nothing more than a simple word from someone to whom they have ascribed waaayy too much power. Greenspan could walk out on to his balcony tomorrow, Pope-like, and speak ex-cathedra to the market and we'd see a miracle. Bernanke is a lesser god, and we will all suffer for it. So everyone hangs on some other magical thinker, Obama. It's no good.

And there are no guarantees in life or politics. It's never good to shield people on the public payroll from accountability, inevitability, or volatility. Life happens. When everyone can get on that page again, things will improve.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

PHOENIX—A good old-fashion downpour in the predawn here today ended a record string of 143 days without rain.

So, what is my prize?

Joan of Argghh! said...

heh. Dry humor.

:o)

pamibe said...

I'm out of pith, but have plenty of hope. And change.

LauraB said...

I am without pith just now but I believe Billy has nailed it...
http://www.two--four.net/weblog.php?id=P3836

"They know the whole fucking charade would fall right over if they could not claim to 'represent' us."

I've never seen it put so clearly in so few words. I know - the next comment is always "but if not that then what?" and I've no good answer for you except that THIS - what IS - ain't workin'.

Jim - PRS said...

Well, he was "present" for much of it.

Elisson said...

I have to take a pith. Thee you later.

joated said...

Such a vast well of experience he brings to the job. (Potentially. I'm still hoping America will wake the hell up.)

Whenever I talk to someone who favors the Big O, I ask what their taxes were before the Bush tax cuts and if they won't mind paying them again and then some. They look at me like I've grown a second head. *sigh*

'mouse said...

(inspired by joated)
I would gladly pay twice the taxes I paid pre-W if it meant I could live in a world where California wasn't 48th in education polls (used to be #2 or #3 before that sacred cow, Prop 13 "cut taxes" oh so many years ago). Oh for the days back when they didn't have to scrape with a fucking lottery to pay for essentials like school. Oh, and to have back a world where regulators regulated and you could get a home loan for an amount equal to 3X your annual income and no more.

Do I think a democrat will fix things? No. Do I think deregulating and lowering taxes has ever helped anything? No. I think Ronald Reagan and George Bush II have done more damage to this country in my lifetime than any democrat ever.

So I think I'm veering toward the "won't bother voting" crowd. I can't buy what either of these guys is selling. But conservative-stripe libertarianism ... sorry, to me that's just selfish short-sightedness at its very worst.

/end rant /
(sorry Joan, I know I promised to behave, but I'm too saddened by this years politics to behave all the time.)

Velociman said...

143 days. What a coincidence. I believe that will coincide with the quintessental biography of his term in office.

He's so young they'll probably call it an "impeachfuzzment".

'mouse said...

Well, I've got to admit I was nervous coming back after that rant o' mine. The good news is that once again I see the Good Ship Aarrgghh has maintained its course.

Oh so many times I've erased my responses on political issues because I know that despite starting at polar opposites you and I could easily visit over tropical drinks and either end up singing some version of the same tune or agreeing to disagree.

I'd be happy to think more about the role of Greenspan, the so-called markets/traders, and so forth. I almost picked up Reich's "Supercapitalsim" (or whatever it's called), at the library last week. Dunno if you agree with anything he says (hell, I don't know if I agree with anything because I haven't read it and am but a simple 'mouse), but every thing I've ever heard him worry about in various interviews over the last few years has soon come to pass.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Well, I don't think we could agree to disagree on some things, cuz you're still just a bleedin' heart Liberal that will never see the damage your kind of thinking inflicts on a lot of good people.

Everything you expressed in your first response was emotional and un-thinking, raw. Which I why I refrained from engaging; there's no speaking to that.

I only urge you to think it all through, on your own, collect data in a scientific way... honestly without preconceptions. See the larger picture of family disintegration as a social construct. Keep asking questions instead of swallowing answers.

I just have a hard time understanding why people quit thinking, no matter what they believe. We're never allowed off the hook of facts. But when we're tired or overwhelmed with the facts, we are tempted to retreat to the comforts of our own thoughts.

In a serious world, that's an unaffordable luxury.

Joan of Argghh! said...

But yeah, the tropical drinks thing works for me! You're buying, though. I want you to feel good about where your money is being spent!

:o)