Aug 25, 2008

Crap! I'm Employed.

Should be pleasant enough. Part time hours, self-directed work and no phones to answer. Just task-driven database work and graphic design with a bit of website maintenance. Marketing support for one person who stays out of the office all day. Sweet!

I told her I have no problem working for a woman, but that her red hair (frickin' glorious, long and curly-- I hate her already!) could be a deal breaker. She laughed. Whew.

She wanted me to understand how straightforward and no-nonsense she was. I replied, "Oh good. So I don't have to apologize for being the same way," as I met her gaze. Instant understanding; like two gunslingers meeting for the first time.

Now, I know that none very few of my adorable readers are hoping that this turns into some sort of perverted office fantasy. Not that kind of blog post, kids.

But really, in the work-a-day world there is nothing better than a good workplace collaboration. I hope I help her and her husband continue to make a lot of money. Real Estate is still a lucrative business, or so I hear.

I just want to be left alone to work in peace. It's a big step down from the breakneck pace and visibility of prior jobs. (Tourism, Art Gallery, Social Services... all in the past year. I'm starting to hate this pirate town's work situation. That will be another post.)


My quest for obscurity-- of which this blog is a testament-- continues apace.


12 comments:

julie said...

Your quest for obscurity - ha! This from a woman who's had at least a couple of Instalanches. You've got a long way to go before you can be as obscure as me ;)

Congrats about the job, though! I hope it is just the right mix of work and slack and chemistry.

Kim said...

Cool beans on the job! It sounds like a glove fit. I wish...eh, I just hope my situation maintains some sort of integrity in the next few months.

Van said...

My condolences upon your becoming employed... courage... it happens to the best of us.






o|o
---

mushroom said...

See how my mind works -- you mention "red" and "gunslingers", and I think of Matthew Garth (Montgomery Clift) meeting Cherry Valance (John Ireland) for the first time in Red River.

There is probably something like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon for John Wayne movies.

LeeAnn said...

Can't we have good workplace collaboration, working in peace, AND perverted office fantasy?
I don't ask much.

Juan Paxety said...

I've been blessed with a job for eight years in which I sit all alone in a room away from the main traffic area. The only time I see anyone else is when I go to the kitchen for coffee. This is as obscure as I've ever found.

pamibe said...

Congratulations! May you labor in solitude and peace for many years. :D

LauraB said...

So you said it was LONG curly red hair?

I'll be in my bunk.

joated said...

Best of luck to you. Sounds like the ideal kind of job. Given a task and allowed to perform it without interference.... What's not to like?

Long, curly, red hair? Me and Charlie Brown had the same facination back when I was a freshman in HS. (We still used tablets of stone back then.) First real crush I ever had. *sigh*

PeggyU said...

Congrats on the employment. I decided to try it recently. I'm still not sure if I like it. If you decide you don't like this, come and join me. I don't have lovely hair, but I found a pretty slacker job. :)

dogette said...

Sounds like a good setup -- any chance they'll let you telecommute? Hm. Better not push it just yet, I guess.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

"Instant understanding; like two gunslingers meeting for the first time."

For a fistfull of dollars!
I picture Joan as Annie Oakley.
She always hits her target...never misses!

Congrats on the new job, Joan!