Aug 15, 2008

Domestic Tranquility


We bought this sweet little Detective Spec Colt .38 Special back when Hurricane Whoever was threatening to sweep us away:



This next one, however, was an inheritance, locked away in a box without a key. We've had it at least 4 years without ever knowing what was in the box, just that it was some sort of gun. So I finally remembered it yesterday, and took it to the locksmith and paid him $5 to open the fireproof safe. Took him a while, but there, still in its purchase case was this bit of fluff:




Thus, the Jolly Roger and I have now achieved detente. His n' Hers heaters. Heh.

The Ruger .357 fits nicely in my hand, and I can't wait to go try it out at the range. Meanwhile, even though the marsh is at my doorstep, it grants a certain peace of mind to know that there will be no pirates looting on my property if we get a chance to host a hurricane here. Just sayin'.

15 comments:

Alaina said...

Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Joan,
The Ruger is a great weapon, and I do not think you can go wrong with a 357. It looks like we might be getting a visitor soon, might as well start stocking up getting the generators ready. (for the season, not necessarily this storm.)

Vmaximus

Hammer said...

That ruger is indestructible. It is built to last many lifetimes.

Congrats on the great find.

Joan of Argghh! said...

It's a fairly new gun, and sad to have come by it so early in its existence. But, yeah, a nice bit of treasure. The damn thing was loaded! And here I'd carted that box through 2 moves and have punted it around from room to room. No worries, though, with the double-action trigger.

Velociman said...

You should go to Florida East Coast Railway's Bowden Yard and pick off a few hobos to sight it in.

diamond dave said...

I'd be leery about firing a gun that small with full-power .357 Magnum rounds. Better to use .38 +P's, they stop more than adequately and won't conk you in the head with the recoil.

Personally, I'd love to have a Ruger GP-100 chambered for .357 Mag, with a 4" barrel.

LauraB said...

Shiny!

I could never have waited that long to know what was in the box. Still, it looks like someone took good care of it before they put it in there...

Now you just need that pink camo AR15...

pamibe said...

Now that's treasure! Wish we lived closer and could go to the range together...

Yabu said...

Fuck a bunch of guns...I'm voting for Obama. He can save us all.

Seriously...I'm all about revolvers....357 is basically the catdaddy...whatever flavor.

Y'all just don't shoot each other, or the dog.

I'll tell you one thing about a .357...if you miss, the noise will make 'em break for cover.

Get some +P for that .38.

Anonymous said...

.... that is one sweet ride...

.. and hey, Yabu, you are most welcome....that .357 that I sold you in Helen a few years ago was a steal.....

.... if you ever want to get rid of it, I call first dibs....

Eric..... Armer of Bloggers......

Irrelephant said...

Nice pair there, darlin'! *heh*

KeesKennis said...

She walked into the room with 45's pointing at me, she also had a gun.
Scary.

KeesKennis said...

Any recent immigrants ranging around Bowden Yard Vman?
Like somebody Yabu would vote for.
Just asking, you know, the notneed to know.
zzompi = stompie = weed = good signing offfffffffff
fuckin word verifuckation

dogette said...

Oooh. Gun prawn! YES.

GUYK said...

Now that looks liie a good little varmit gun..and I do like wheel guns although most of mine are auto loads..lazy I reckon..