Aug 2, 2008

I Feex, I Feex!

If you're on IE7 and reading this, which I was able to do, then I have the fix for all of us poor Blogspot folks out there. BRB-- (refresh, for the latest.)

h/t to Vman for the link to MS's error site. Gear heads can go there for the same clue.

In a nutshell, the sitemeter link is usually in one of those "page element" boxes called widgets. You gotta select the "blog post" part of your layout, then find the tab up top that says "Edit HTML". BEWARE!! You MUST save your template to your desktop BEFORE farkin' around with your templates mysterious innards!

In a separate tab, go to sitemeter.com's management page for your site and copy the html text you normally have in your widget.

Now go back to your template and scroll all de way down, mon. You'll see the last few lines will have these words inbetween the carat thingies:

/body
/p
/div
div
or some such.




The dealio is, place your cursor just before that text, < "/body"> and paste. Do a preview of your page, scroll all de way down, mon, and you should see your sitemeter sitting pretty down there. (You can place it anywhere, but if you don't know what you're doing, just go with what's easy.) Save it. If you messed up, you can reload your template and all will revert.

IMPORTANT! Find the widget page element that has your HTML script in it and remove it, then hit publish. Not as hard as it sounds. If you get stuck, email me.

Hope it works, kids.

15 comments:

Velociman said...

Does Blogger use Wordpress? Because I use Movable Type and this is all Greek to me (except for the buttfucking part).

Joan of Argghh! said...

You got no worries, everyone can see your site. They're just too busy going, WTF? with all the others.

Velociman said...

Because I pulled my Sitemeter.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Oh! You said you weren't going to. Well then, your blog's template must have the same sort of html near the very bottom of all that geeky script. Tinker with it after you've saved a copy of your template.

The whole idea is to place sitemeter into the body. Don't get all excited at that thought, Vman. I just viewed the html of your site, and yep, it's there at the very bottom.
:o)

Jean said...

I can access my blog fine even though I have sitemeter and IE.
I'm being blocked from other IE sites. I'm still doing WTF????...

Joan of Argghh! said...

Jean, your sitemeter is already in the body of your template. That's why it's not interfering. But because you're browser is IE, you can't see any other blog that hasn't fixed the site meter problem.

Irrelephant said...

I've not used IE since it was in it's fifth incarnation. Looooove me some Firefox!

And happy Blog Birthday!

Velociman said...

But, but... I removed the Sitemeter code after saving it. And it's not showing on my homepage now. WTF?

Joan of Argghh! said...

Didja paste the script into the body of the template before you deleted it from the side frame?

Jean said...

so.......I can leave sitemeter and(eventually, when I get the courage) download Mozilla Firefox and all will be well?

Velociman said...

No, just saved it in a document. This was before your instructions.

julie said...

Hm - now I don't feel quite so foolish for using a different stat-counter than everyone else.

Caltechgirl said...

Actually, there's an even easier fix that just makes sitemeter invisible until it gets fixed. Go to the beginning of the Sitemeter code, wherever it is in your page and add < ! -- (no spaces) and then go to the end of the SM code and add -- > (again no spaces, I'm trying to get around the overzealous HTML interpreter in the comments). This basically turns sitemeter in to a comment in the code. Seems to work for me, and it's easier for folks who are scared to mess up their page!

Joan of Argghh! said...

Not bad. Then they can go back and paste in the good code. The deal for me is that tomorrow is my bloggiversary and I want my sitemeter! Vman's about to turn over to 1 million. So, while the fix isn't for everyone, it's pretty simple and assuages over-inflated egos like Velociman!

LauraB said...

Our resident genius, thank you for the effort.

And I think that V-man prefers his ego massaged...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.