Oct 29, 2008

Obama Speechwriter Defects to Freedom; Evisceration and Flensing to Follow

As of today, apparently. Her farewell to the Democrats is more than a swan song. And perhaps, moreso than Michael Malone's high-profile denouncement of his profession, this defection is costly.

She has my admiration for making a quick and principled decision the moment things became clear to her mind and heart. With no consideration for her financial future, but with a clear conscience and high ideal, Wendy Button breaks free:

I was dead wrong about the surge and thought it would be a disaster. Senator John McCain led when many of us were ready to quit. Yet we march on as if nothing has changed, wedded to an old plan, and that too is a long way from the Democratic Party.

I can no longer justify what this party has done and can’t dismiss the treatment of women and working people as just part of the new kind of politics. It’s wrong and someone has to say that. And also say that the Democratic Party’s talking points—that Senator John McCain is just four more years of the same and that he’s President Bush—are now just hooker lines that fit a very effective and perhaps wave-winning political argument…doesn’t mean they’re true. After all, he is the only one who’s worked in a bipartisan way on big challenges.

Before I cast my vote, I will correct my party affiliation and change it to No Party or Independent. Then, in the spirit of election 2008, I’ll get a manicure, pedicure, and my hair done. Might as well look pretty when I am unemployed in a city swimming with “D’s.”

About 800 comments and counting, at that link. But, like a friend used to say quite often: "the man with an experience is not at the mercy of the man with an argument." Read it all.

I sure wish her well.

6 comments:

julie said...

The evisceration is well underway, from the brief glimpse I had at the comments earlier. They were only up to about 400 by then.

I feel bad for her; I thought her piece was pretty even-handed and rational. But as she's discovered, that's exactly what the leftists don't support any more.

I, too, wish her well.

Teresa said...

I wish her well, but there is nothing more savage than a liberal and no one they savage more happily than one who has left their ranks.

I didn't read the comments, but read her piece. The beginning was pretty choppy and I had a hard time following. Makes me wonder about the editor and his/her agenda because the end was strong.

It's an interesting turn about. I wonder if there are others who just aren't writing it.

GUYK said...

Always great to see someone has turned down the Kool ade..

'mouse said...

Y'know, if McCain had run toward the middle and had a message for *me*, I think he would have won this thing hands down.

Instead he [strike]sold his soul to the devil... er, god[end strike*] started mouthing stuff to appeal to the Far Right which was fine for W, but which does the man McCain a great disservice.

I hope if he does get elected he proves to be the excellent man he was before instead of the ugly creature he appears (to me**) to have become in the election process.

* Oops, won't accept that simple html.
** What? I'm not the center of the universe? We'll see about that.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Good grief, my dear 'mouse! Where you been hiding, hon?

You know, McCain lives so squarely in the "middle" that he was losing his base and the election... until Palin.

He, like Bush, has been no friend to the Republican party, and I fear that his boundaries are so transparent on some political issues that they risk paling into insignificance.

But the man loves his country and has yet to insult me with the idea that I'm selfish and haven't done enough for my country, as has Obama, as recently as this morning.

Heck, I'm only voting for McCain because I hope he's as old and feeble as the Dems suppose.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Oh, and 'mouse, what evil has he committed since he began his campaign that has so soured you? Has he secretly been giving money to his friends and illegally receiving fraudulent donations?

I used to help out with securing credit programming for a large consumer website. Even I know how pro-actively one must set the parameters to achieve that sort of fraud. Uh... apparent fraud, Counsel. *grin*

There's not a credit card vendor alive that would put themselves in that sort of jeopardy.

Let's talk.