Nov 27, 2008

Be a Reason For Someone to Give Thanks

I must be getting older, and it sure beats the alternative, but I find myself wondering if long after I have departed: will someone be thankful for my life? Maybe for a particular gift, or action, but also, in an abiding way I would like to be able to know that someone is truly thankful for what I have been, contributed, or done.

It goes without saying that I hope my immediate family is thankful for my presence in their lives. I think on my mother, who was an emotional cipher, who left nothing behind except a tattered string of pearls and a wedding ring, a small brush and an old necklace. And yet, I am grateful for so much that she imparted to me with her ornery ways and unassailable self-confidence around her eight kids-- even when we were having tomato sandwiches and water for dinner. We never knew...she shielded our innocence when young, challenged our maturity when older.

You never know, either, who is watching or waiting for that tangible moment or lifelong connection that lasts beyond a lifetime.

It is such a beautiful discipline of the heart to be grateful and in turn seek to be a blessing. May today be such a moment for you and yours.

13 comments:

pamibe said...

The perfect Thanksgiving post. Happy turkey day, Joan and family.

Elisson said...

Well said.

Something else you can be thankful for: the ability to find the right words. It's a precious gift.

LauraB said...

Ah, perfect. Just the thing to start the day off...

Thank you!

Jean said...

May your blessings continue for a long, long time and may you continue to share yourself with us.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

.... outstanding sentiment, Joan..... may we all be so lucky...

Eric

folly said...

I'm thankful that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade got Rickrolled by the Foster's Home float. That's awesome.

Michael said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gecko said...

Here's what I like about you Joan:
you're real, funny, and a smart ass who can write, sculpt, likes living with a blue dog, and an appreciative American who bothers to tell it like it is. I think you should write a play. You are a blessing.

Jim - PRS said...

As usual, great. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the JR.

Joan of Argghh! said...

I spent the morning driving and am awaiting an elegant dinner at the SNOB here in Charleston. I don't think I've ever gone this long on the Day without even the smell of Turkey yet!

The J.R. is Home Alone, poor dear, having to work tomorrow. I'm sure the nabes are plying him with food and drink, but it's sad that he's not here with us in Charleston today.

Thanks, all, for your kind words and kind attentions over the past year. *mwuah!*

C.S. Perry said...

Right On.

Anonymous said...

"What matters is not what you leave behind when you go but what you leave behind as you go."

Mrs. Who said...

I think that's the best Thanksgiving Day post I've seen. Beautiful tribute.