Nov 20, 2008

Catholic School Girl


At the risk of confirming or confusing your mental image of your correspondent, here it is, a pic of me:


In First Grade.

Hard to believe. Even then, you can note the scar over my left eye, bravely earned on my tricycle. It plays havoc with my makeup routine even today.

You can't see the eight stitches under my chin, for which I have no explanation except that I have five older brothers and two older sisters. I'm sure I earned it in battle.

I was a flaxen blonde then, except those dark eyebrows were giving away the fact that by 4th grade I would be a brunette.

My mom taught me how to read at age four, so of course I was the class problem child, bored with the work. I somehow remember knowing everything, and the words to every song they made us sing. Even if they were different than what was on the chalk board. My teacher was exasperated with me. Poor Sister Mary Perpetua!

I only had to write out the Act of Contrition about fifty times and can still recite it, to this day. It was prescribed after trumped-up charges about throwing rocks at the boys or some other pugilistic pursuit. As if!

It's not like I've never posted pics of myself here before, btw. If you put 'em all together you can almost imagine me, all grown up.




14 comments:

QP said...

Now I get it. Good classically correct posture of pugilistic defense.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yah, that's right, defense.

:o)

GUYK said...

Yep, I was bored in school...my older sister by five years liked to play teacher..she taught me to read, basic math, spelling etc when I was four and five and when I started to school at six they put me in the second grade..in a one room school house. Then we moved and I had to go back to the first grade in a bigger school...slept a lot and got my butt in trouble a lot

PeggyU said...

LOL! You look cute but ornery! The youngest child is always that way. I have five younger brothers (no sisters). From the first-born perspective, the youngest one gets away with a lot.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Nah. I pretty much had a plan to lay low at home. See the part where I talk about scars.

Guantanamo? fuggeddaboudit. I was merely one more small creature to be tortured.

Haven't noticed any ill effects, however, you know, except for blogging.

:o)

MikeTheWaiterDotCom said...

I'm raising a catholic schoolgirl myself. she's not inherited her dad's ad/hd, fortunately. I can relate to your boredom in classes. the guidance counselors always said "he not living up to his potential." and 40 years later, they were right. Working as a waiter, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up!
Peace, mw

mushroom said...

Joan, since we talking about Catholics, I have a confession. I followed all your links. Now I think I'm a voyeur, or a voyager, or something.

You were very cute.

mushroom said...

Or maybe I'm just kinky. A couple of weeks back, a guy told me I "look just like Jay Leno". I assume that isn't some sort of coded gay come-on.

Mike Wilson said...

Youngest of 8!?! WTC!?! Gah.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Gah? Eight of ten of us survived. I'm certainly glad to be here!

Since I had no younger siblings to pass along the torture to, I blog.

It's pretty much the same thing.

John Holton said...

Cute picture! I should dig up my pictures from that era. What order of nuns did you have to deal with?

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yay! Catholic School Boy pics!

Heck if I know what order they were from. A fun one, mostly, but that's cuz they were Irish and appreciated the godly qualities of good beer.

Irrelephant said...

I'd forgotten about that gorgeous Lockheed Vega. *weep* Utterly beautiful.

I'm thanking my lucky stars I don't have a scanner, otherwise I'd be bombarding my own blog with photos of my uniformed (and nun-beaten) self from Back Then. Right down to the red-white-and-blue bicentennial celebration belt buckle I was so proud of.

Oh gods make it stop.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Those poor Nuns! :^)