Nov 6, 2008

It's Not Dead, It's Pining for the Fjords

Nope. Still dead. Stop propping it up on its perch.

"But it takes two incomes to survive."

"I'm a working mom and my kids turned out all right. We sent them to the best schools."

"Home schoolers are nutters who drown their children in the bath tub. No, no, we would look like idiot mouth-breathers if we home-schooled."

"But I'm a teacher! I do a good job and your child is safe in my classroom. More's the pity that you parents are idiots. I resent your comments!"

"But I'm a Republican representative who has worked hard within my party!"

"What are we supposed to do, sacrifice our comforts for Freedom?"

"I don't wanna spend time with my neighbors. They're idiots."

"Church is for idiots. I like to worship at home, God is everywhere, isn't He?"

"Do I have to?"

"I can't justify bringing children into such a world as this."

"Rush Limbaugh knows what to do. He has a plan for the Republican Party!"

"Well, we need more perfect, morally pure, blameless, upright candidates who are Christians!"

"Tax cuts make sense. Why don't people understand that taxing a business is a tax on the consumer. How hard is that to see? Surely that must resonate with 18 year olds. Right?"

Uh, yeah. Thanks for playing.

Still dead.

6 comments:

mouse said...

Mornin' Joan.

You missed:

"He's going to be the next Jimmy Carter; I hated gas lines, I don't want to stand in gas lines again."

"The country is RUINED; You know he's a mole funded by foreign terrorists!"

and
"I have no idea what the ballot measures were, I voted the ticket I was handed at church; which one was anti-gay marriage and did it win?"

Those were the unsolicited comments I heard from the three Republicans who cornered me and brought up the election yesterday.

So yes. The party does need work, from the ground up.

"Mainstream America" does not want a ticket whose #2 can't be bothered to learn the members of Nafta or that is out of touch with the fact that 70% or so of Americans favor keeping the option of abortion in case they or their daughters are the victim of rape or incest.

I may not vote for you next time around Joan, but I wish you the very best of luck in your efforts to build a better, stronger, principled opposition based on educated opinions.

Sal said...

Okay, let's start with the facts:
If Roe v. Wade was overturned today at lunch, no abortion laws would change. They would just go to the states, where they belong. Want an abortion? Go to a neighboring state that allows them.

The good thing about being a Catholic is that you don't expect people to be perfect. Just don't be Ted Kennedy, Joe Biden or Nancy Pelosi.

Sal said...

Joan,
I'm in the market for a new party.
I looked at the Constitutional Party, but found their foreign policy platform naive and suicidal.
Want my references?

Bou said...

I'm an independent, who used to be a Republican. Actually, I was a member of Young Republicans in college, that would be during Reagan's second admin. But they lost me somewhere along the way. I really would like to go back, but I just can't... they just completely lost me.

I still vote Republican mostly, but I'm not a party line girl. I'll vote Democrat if I think they're going to do a better job for what I feel is the most important. I've not had that happen in a Presidential election, although I have voted Independent in one... never Dem. They're just TOO far left for me.

I hope they get back to their roots, small government, etc. They have four years to do some serious reflecting on what happened. No finger pointing... which is what is going on now. They need to suck it up and analyze and regroup, figure out how to bring the party back.

If they can't do that, we'll be stuck with 8 years of what we just received.

As for what Mouse said, that makes me sick as I don't know one registered Republican that has said anything of the sort. Dems and Republicans are pretty open around me, since I'm an Independent, and I have never once heard such assanine comments, and I've heard some doozies, including a Democrat woman tell me she'd never vote for McCain as he's a murderer, he sends our men and women off to die. I was left speechless... I think my mouth was hanging open on that one.

folly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
folly said...

Oops. Screwed that one up. Preview, publish, I get confused.

Joan, "Pining for the fjords." Beautiful Python reference.

As for whoever said, "What are we supposed to do, sacrifice our comforts for Freedom?"...

I'll say, "A people that values it's privileges above it's principles soon loses both." - Dwight D Eisenhower