Dec 11, 2008

Kum bah yah Humbug!

For the record: I do not want my city, state, or national government wishing me a "Merry Christmas." I do not want any level of government spending any of my money on festive decorations. Even "Happy Holidays" is a religious statement of "holy days" and has no place in government, if we go to the ridiculous extremes of the perpetually offended.

Saying that, I also do not want my city, state, or national government (or especially my HOA) denying me the joy of worshiping according to the dictates of my own conscience. Nor do I want my government or any of its lawyering minions to deny me my right based on the specious concept of it being "intimidating" to non-believers. I assure you, grown ups are not intimidated by Menorahs, Crescents or Crosses. I am not even intimidated by a Muslim praying to Allah in a public place. As long as they don't have bombs strapped to themselves, and I can still hear the muzak in the elevator over them, see if I care.

I do not want public schools to teach any sort of religion or religious tolerance. By that same token, I do not want them to teach any sort of INtolerance, either. If a kid wants to bow his head and pray silently, here's a thought: butt out.

As a Christian, I have long felt that contributions to my church should NOT have been a tax write off, even though my church did many good public works. It's good to keep political favors out of a church. Those honkin' huge donations from some rich guy usually cost the church some sort of moral integrity. Someone alert Mssrs. Jesse Jackson Senior and Junior.

I have also seen this "Christmas backlash" effect coming from a long way off. Now we have a comical zoo of mockery at our county courthouses and official public properties. Good! Let the Ridiculous point out what an ass the Law is.

Others can do a much better apologetic for the Christian influence and moral oversight of a Free Society, and the underpinning such a foundation has provided. However, if the idea of a Republic, and a Free Society cannot now stand on its own two feet and agree on certain principles of Right and Wrong, then it really cannot and should not be meddling with religious groups who seem to have a stronger sense of boundary and ethic for their creed and followers.

No "official" Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan or Festivus greetings, please. Save the money for something more practical and state-like. You know, maybe a raise for our soldiers or a new wing for a VA hospital.

Personally, would you accept a holiday greeting from say, the guy who stole your 401k retirement money and didn't even leave you a thank you note? Would it cheer your soul or spike your eggnog to know your city tax collector wanted you to have a Happy Hanukkah?

I plan on having a very Merry Christmas, no thanks to the hypocritical wishes of my government which is currently doing everything it can to ruin everyone's holidays.

For those of you who plan to celebrate something in December: May your respective god, goddess, planetary body, forest sprite, river nymph or existential non-entity give you joy.

15 comments:

folly said...

Well Joan, Happy RamaHanuKwanzMas! I can say that because I'm not with the government. :)

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, celebration of the winter solstice holiday(tm), practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all . . . and a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2008, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great, (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "AMERICA" in the western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual orientation of the wishee.

By accepting this greeting,
you are accepting these terms:

This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

Joan of Argghh! said...

It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting.

But you may want to change the date, Folly! Heh.

:o)

folly said...

Yeah, that's what I get for paying attention. It's been around for a few years now, and I couldn't tell you who did it originally. I think I got it for the first time in 2005.

Regardless of my proofreading skills, I still wish you and yours a Merry Christmas. Yes, that's right. I said it. Christmas.

Irrelephant said...

Er...many happy returns of the season? *lol*

C.S. Perry said...

WWBJD?

What would Baby Jesus do?

christian soldier said...

Joan-I agree w/ your take--I don't agree w/ your take...HMMMM
I can wish you something that PC will no 'allow' my favorite Barista to wish:

MERRY CHRISTMAS.....
Carol/CS

Holder said...

Merry Christmas, Joan, may you and Jr and Pepper Dog have a fantastic year full of great memories, and a few frosty adult beverages...

GUYK said...

I wonder what bar b q reindeer tastes like?

folly said...

Reindeer tastes much richer than spotted owl, but it's not as gamey as freshly-clubbed baby seal.

:)

Velociman said...

So long as government keeps its nose in the religious domain I get holidays off. I can live with that.

Anonymous said...

ef u! Merry Christ's Birthday and if you don't like it ............... well ................... ;~)

Anonymous said...

................ if you don't like it.................... you can ..... xo




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isdhEDWXg4I

Joan of Argghh! said...

Vman, I think every government office should have to remain open on Christmas.

These fuckers wanna play hardball with the specious "separation" agrument. Bring it.

Private corps can do as they please, too. If they want to acknowledge one day and not another, fine by me, and that includes National holidays.

National holidays should honor national events. Anything more doesn't pass the "separation" smell test.

Anonymous said...

There's a smell test? ruh roh ;~)

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

This (war on Christmas/PC/seperation) is the kind of insidious crap that happens when self evident truth's are no longer self evident.