Mar 2, 2009

. . .and another thing:

The New Republicans are soliciting thoughts on Rush's Speech.

It's a classy joint, but I crashed it anyway. What? I was polite, honest! Here's what I left there:

I have thought long and hard about the Rush Problem, and I remember back when I became a “New Republican,” back when Ronald Reagan was running for office. Yes, we were so numerous and young! And voting for an old, rich, white guy! He was controversial, he was vilified by the press as an idiot. He was outrageously non-nonplussed by his opponents and selectively tone-deaf to inane criticisms that had nothing to do with the principles of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It’s not that hard, dear New Republicans, to let the truth be the Truth. And here’s a tough one to hang onto for the duration: if you seek any compromise with the truth for the sake of appearance and popularity, you will lose you soul, and your nation.

Ask yourselves what ransom you would give to have your Liberty back? (thanks, Braveheart!) Those who worked for 30-40 years and had no time to teach Civics to young people have yielded their future to those who did. And we funded their ability to stay home and poison young minds with lies, easy fixes, and vile dependency. We ransomed our fears for a comfortable future and now its gone. What did it profit us?

And now you, young Republicans must do a different sort of work, if you can: teach.

You could do worse than allow Rush Limbaugh to teach old-fashioned Civics lessons to your children. It is no longer taught in public school, so someone has to tell little minds and uneducated adults how the political world works. Don’t leave it up to ACORN and PBS.

Buck up, stop with the hand-wringing and the false belief that there is even ONE person on the Right that the Media can’t handily mock, belittle, vilify or denounce. Better to find ONE that they respect. Or fear. I know, that makes lesser hearts quake a bit, to think of someone finding something to fear in another.

But that’s not so bad as having an Executive that fears no one.

8 comments:

mushroom said...

I followed your link over and added to your score. You're rockin'.

Jake Hammell said...

As someone not from the States, I agree completely. Having grown up right near the border I often caught Limbaugh's broadcasts and I have in my mind a picture painted of what an American Republican looks like:
A gun toting, flag waving, red neck. This image isn't improved by people like Limbaugh, and he just makes that image in my mind look angrier, and itching to press the big red 'NUKE' button. In my web browsing I've come across a few people I'm not afraid to say who I don't doubt just about fit this description. Now I know this isn't who republicans are.
On the same hand, the image in my mind that Limbaugh has tried to paint of democrats is one of a peace-loving hippy communist out to kill baby fetus' and kill god.
This also isn't true of democrats, and I can see why the media doesn't like Limbaugh, and also why he's able to drive away as many, if not more, swing voters.
You're right. The Republican party absolutely can't have a rich old man be the face of the party. The game has changed, and so has the voting demographic. To be a new and progressive party you need a new and progressive face.

pamibe said...

You are on fire today, Joan! :-)

Joan of Argghh! said...

I have in my mind a picture painted of what an American Republican looks like:

Jake, welcome.

Now, allow me to call bullshit on your reply. You have rarely listened to Rush, but you have listened to others describe him. Bring fruits of real concern, not Kos Kids' talking points and we'll have a discussion based on what the man actually says.

Meanwhile, nothing you say can make me believe young people are so shallow as you describe. The young people I encounter are genuinely interested in things that are true, ideals that transcend, and truly, most of what Rush put forth: caring for people, wanting to see people succeed, wanting to have a viable future.

I'm not sure who you hang out with, but maybe you might want to look around and find more positive folks to chill with.

Ricky Raccoon said...

Joan,
An aside...How long have you been listening to Rush’s radio show?

Joan of Argghh! said...

I'm off and on again. I first heard him when we moved back from Mexico in 1991. Desert Storm, Recession. Clinton. Things were soooo apparent to the eye when one had gained a bit of third-world first-hand experience with Socialsim.

But Rush has done incredibly juvenile things, or I just get fatigued with him, or believe it or not, politics just wasn't on my plate. I don't think I listened to him much at all after 9/11 for some reason.

I wouldn't say I'm a "follower" or even a full-on fan. I think he serves merely as a muse. Sometimes a good one.

Ricky Raccoon said...

Oh. I was getting the impression by a couple things you included that maybe you had only listened to the speech. I’ve been a fan, for lack of a better word, since 92. I’m off and on like you – now only at lunch time in the car to see what he’s up to – the occasional big news day. I used to listen all the time. Never lost respect for him in the slightest, it was just that - when you get it, you get it. There was little more “get” left to be “gotten” for me. Not sure what you mean by juvenile but I do know he likes to shock people out of their systems because it works. His arrogance, if that’s it, is just to make the MSM (and others) look like the morons that they are. They should be laughed at. But you’re a long time listener so you know all that and it’s something else, which is fine of course. I was curious.
Ah..juss remembered…I wasn’t crazy about the repubs voting in the dem primaries thing.
I’m no “follower” either. I don’t want him to run for prez. I’m encouraged the past few days to see him doing something much larger lately than just talking to the same 20 million (gulp) people for the past 20 years.
He doesn’t need me to stick up for him. And you don’t need me around here pickin nits :-D
(that's not a goodbye)

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

It’s not that hard, dear New Republicans, to let the truth be the Truth. And here’s a tough one to hang onto for the duration: if you seek any compromise with the truth for the sake of appearance and popularity, you will lose you soul, and your nation.

Right on, Joan! :^)