Mar 7, 2009

The Plan

Have you ever heard of it? At least 12% of the population knows about it: The Plan (second segment in the radio show). I'm not even sure who implements it, except that it's White People, based on what the believers of The Plan intimate when they speak of Them and They. An interesting This American Life radio segment worth 11 minutes of your time. (Hey, it's NPR. You paid for it.)

Them and They are somehow perniciously and purposely neglectful of their duty to ...whomever. They are somehow allowing "benign neglect" of neighborhoods-- as if these neighborhoods had no neighbors in them-- in order to depress property prices so that they can now move into the neighborhoods and gentrify the area. "Gentrify", in 1964, was coined by a sociologist, naturally. The intro to the radio segment reads thus:

American cities have gone through a massive wave of gentrification in the last few decades. To some people, it's not a natural ebb and flow of the real estate market, but a plot, by rich, mainly white people, to take over the neighborhoods of poor, mainly black people. This American Life producer Jon Jeter reports on how, in neighborhoods all over the country, the plot has a name, "The Plan," and most people you talk to know about it.

So, if you're worried about Rush Limbaugh and how he appears to the Liberals, I think it might be good to see how we ALL seem to them, no matter what we do. You want to live closer to bus lines and work? You apparently are a co-conspirator in The Plan.

Go to the link here, and forward to minute 31:50 and learn about The Plan.

Discuss.

12 comments:

Sal said...

That's interesting.
Middle daughter's bf does segments for them, occasionally. She gave us a CD of some of his stuff- mostly about his mom (it was the easiest way to explain about her in depth) and his previous career as a ticket scalper in Chicago.
It was an intriguing other view of him, with the NPR production values.
I'm sure if we sat down and discussed it, we would have vast areas of disagreement, just as we have with some of the kids, but he himself is a lovely person and does not seem to despise us.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Oh, I love his show, and think it the most interesting thing on radio! I'm addicted... Did you hear the Chimp story?! Who knew that Cheetah was still alive?

It's just that this segment spoke to me more about the people being interviewed... a glimpse into 45 years of race-baiting and distrust and how monolithic the attitude seems to be.

Sal said...

The Bf's CD is actually all I've ever heard of the show. I haven't listened to public radio for thirty years, I guess.

The attitude you mention is one of the reasons I'm taking a sabbatical from my longest-lasting volunteer job- I need a break from poor people. or the poor mindset. or something.

Velociman said...

When I lived in Atlanta in 1981 I was so broke I moved 4 blocks south of the most intrepid yuppies, and tried to gentrify a block of Memorial Drive. Ask me how that worked out. I bailed 9 months later, and within a few years it was a crack house.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Sal, I totally understand that,and am in your court with that.

****

Vman, depending on how you view it, you either arrived too early or too late in the neighborhood.

PeggyU said...

Is he the one who did the piece on New York's "rubber rooms" for teachers that played on This American Life? That was the most amazingly bizarre thing.

QP said...

This is a good example of "jest 'cause I'm paranoid, don't mean you're not out to get me." Extremes of distrust among Them and They have been generating these theories for eons. My old hometown of Austin has a plan for creating a mix of low, middle and high income housing. I checked out some of the low income offerings and could not afford anything on my public school teaching salary of $42,000, so I retired, left town and moved to affordable, adorable Temple.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Well, HUD housing is in some of the nicest places and residents there don't have any say-so about that Plan, apparently.

Sal said...

But they did get to choose the color scheme for the HUD ones here in Carrollton- that was big of them.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

I had a plan once...

Irrelephant said...

I think the key is to go one step further--it's not just white folks who are evil, it's ALL folks.

Sal said...

I'm sorry, Peggy U- were you talking to me?
No, he's not- he's Davy Rothbart.