Apr 21, 2009

Another Bedtime Story




Because life is too serious not to dream:





Another Bedtime Story

We outgrow our bedtime stories
trading monsters and fair maidens
for the hard-won moment's glories
of an evening's relaxation

Now we numb our thoughts and passion
give ourselves to faint blue light
let the subtler monsters rush in
selfish ogres, aging plights

Yet awaits a land to dream in
good and rightness there prevail
gentle lull of moonlight beams in
as she arcs the sky full sail

Take the hand of your moon maiden
dream of dragons, deeds and fame
you're a ship with treasures laden
a barbarian without shame

Cutlass-garbed and burden free
say goodbye to lesser mortals
venture into that bright sea
dream of lands with shining portals

bedtime stories never leave us
we just give them diff'rent frock
time for bed now, oh my darling
let us dream away the clock

-Joan Varga

11 comments:

Betsy said...

Such a gift you have Joan. Thank you for sharing this with us.

julie said...

This is a beautiful poem, Joan, though it gives me a bit of goosebumps.

I've been reading two books this weekend, both of which (though I didn't know it when I picked either of them up on Friday) have to do with sailing and sea voyages. And last Thursday, before reading either I dreamed I was in a stateroom in a cruise ship; there was a hull breach, and the room was filling up with water. I woke just as I realized that the pressure of the flow was far too strong for me to escape the room, and I was going to drown.

Hm.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Thanks to you both!

Julie: mild sleep apnea. Or stuffy sinuses.

:o)

Jean said...

Primordial Poetess.
quite lovely!

Irrelephant said...

Oh my! That's quite lovely, dear.

My word verification is "submedor." I think I could name my first ship that.

LauraB said...

I am rendered speechless. Amazing...

Now if you'd just paint a little something to go beside it...

*poke*

PeggyU said...

Seriously you wrote that? That is awesome! Got more?

julie said...

Joan, you might be right about the sinuses. Good call :D

Anonymous said...

you reach me.
The J.R.

mushroom said...

That is very good.

Anonymous said...

Joan,
You have amazing grace and talent on so many levels. Thanks for sharing it with your friends and fans. The play is what you must write!
Gecko