May 10, 2009

Rock the Cradle, Rock the World

Ladies, isn't it awesome to stand athwart the march of madness and point to the exits? You do it every day that you display a self-confidence that refuses to allow your kids to blackmail your affections with disingenuous manipulations. You know what I'm talking about. The pout, the brokering, the negotiations and threats of withholding their sweeter attentions. So tender in their early years do they learn to say, "I don't like you!!"

You were never taken aback by such devilish tricks, because you never bought into the, "children are born pure" fantasy. They're born with all of the features and genetic codes that run amok in your own life and knowing that alone should harden your forehead like flint against the little psy-ops agents in your own home.

It's all an attempt to make life about them. It doesn't help that all their teachers and television entertainments reinforce the notion.

God bless each and every one of you who quashed that mistaken notion with a hard head, soft humor and unassailable confidence in the long view. . . the vision of your kids being strong in the face of life's pouts, brokerings, negotiations and tendency to treat one unkindly. Dame Margaret Thatcher must have had such a mom:



Happy Mother's Day!

h/t to the Innocent Bystanders.

11 comments:

patti said...

maggie, they broke the mold!

QP said...

I am not what I ought to be.
I am not what I want to be.
I am not what I hope to be.
But still, I am not what I used to be.
And by the grace of God, [and the rule of Mom] I am what I am.
(1725-1807) John Newton's hymn "Just As I Am"

This is an outstanding post Joan, thanks.

PeggyU said...

Happy Mother's Day, Joan :)

Joan of Argghh! said...

Thanks, all. May you feel and be blessed!

Erica said...

Ahhhh...between seeing Maggie completely In Her Prime, and Newt on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace earlier this morning, I feel like the core values of my party have been reaffirmed, and in such a refreshing and humorous way. Her and Reagan were such fittingly appropriate counterparts to one another. A blessed Mother's Day to you, friend, and thanks for sharing that.

QP said...

This just arrived in an email.
Another inspiration.She's survived 8 prime ministers and her city is debt free!

Sal said...

This is great, Joan. Thanks.
That is why I'm not a spoiling grandma- my dd needs all the back-up she can get.

diamond dave said...

I think I'm in love...

Maybe we need her to come over here and fix things.

Erica said...

I'm of the same mind as Diamond Dave, except I had recently done a Wikipedia search for Maggie (I was thinking about her a month or so ago, and how much she rules) and she is...for lack of a euphemistic way of putting it...not the same.

Then again, I think I would rather have Maggie not in possession of her faculties over the current "clear-thinking" administration, which seems quite hellbent on dismantling our Republic, brick by brick.

pamibe said...

Amen! Happy Mother's Day Joan!

Irrelephant said...

Happy Mom's Day, Joan. You're one hell of a mother. *wink*