Jun 21, 2009

History's Waiting Room

It was a phrase that jumped out at me from the comments at Scipio's latest post, Have a Bad Day. (It goes without saying that you shouldn't go there if you're trying to have a good day.)

The commenter wonders if it's just him, or are others feeling the "holding pattern," refraining from the news-junkie mode:

Its seems to me (and to others I talk to) that the jury is out as to what is going to happen next and everybody seems to be in a holding pattern waiting for ‘it’ to happen. The usual conversations I have had with others are a bit dull and inconsequential like we’re in some vast waiting room for ‘history’ to happen.


Waiting rooms. That word picture brings about a visceral jump that sets the mind racing. I'm not even sure we're all exactly confident about what we're waiting for. Babies or bombshells. New grace or old grudges. Points to be made or scores to be settled.

Mostly, I think we're silent, like a man in the doctor's office for the first time 40 years. He doesn't want to be there and knows his life will not be the same afterward; he is calling up scenarios and possibilities for the Best Options Considering.

A helluva place to be. Waiting. . .

6 comments:

julie said...

Holding pattern? Yes, there's definitely something to that. Also seems like a lot of big cycle changes just now, at least in people's personal lives.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Yes, but we're praying for a Blessed Event in your instance!

julie said...

:D
Thanks, Joan!

QP said...

A waiting room is a transitional place --a place of confinement with emotional toil. The evil and the good together wait in that limbo of things.

GUYK said...

Hell, I ain't waiting...I am getting prepared...in fact I just had to buy another box tin box to store ammo

PeggyU said...

Yes, that state of limbo. It's unnerving. You put it very well!

I just don't see how it can be good news, given the symptoms.