Jun 15, 2009

It's Like This: I Landed a Job

It's been almost a year since I've had full-time employment, and about 6 months that I've been seeking full-time employment. In the interim I was sick, then worked in an art store part time, then had surgery, then worked in real estate support part time, then September happened. No worries, though, I had a sweet job lined up with a former employer, due to start in January of this year.

That fell through when, during the interview process, I supplied them with a solution to their dilemma that pretty much negated their need for me. I'm too nice for my own good.

So, a few more paltry part-time gigs and a dry, scorched job landscape led me to pursue other ideas. I bought a motor home and had planned to travel/work my way west for the summer, as the J.R. was supposed to be working with a traveling automobile rodeo and it was all good.

And then the J.R. needed surgery. And then he got laid off from his local gig two days before surgery.

Needless to say, the timing both sucked and was perfect, since neither of us had a job, I could tend to the wounded grizzly bear while he was doped up out of his mind.

Me? I had to buy my own prescriptions from Captain Morgan at the local wine superstore. On the way out, I saw a sign, "Now Hiring". I stopped by the manager's desk on the way out, asked for an application, and the overwhelmed assistant manager couldn't find one and asked me to go online and apply. I balked and proceeded to politely whine that I was tired of online applications, that they reduce people to a keyword search and how it was too bad that no one would be able to meet me and look me in the eye, shake my hand, and know how wonderful I was.

"Tell me your name!" he demanded.

"Joan Varga."

"Joan, I can look through this stack of 350 applications or I can go online for the few who bother. Which do you think I'd rather?"

"I'll fill out the online app," I submitted.

"Tell me your name, again," he asked. "I'll look for your application this weekend."

True to his word, I got a call-back two weeks ago while I was in the store next door to his, so I went over and hit the line. I think he was just so relieved to have a grown up applying that he placed me into a low-level management position to start and promised me 40-45 hours a week. Decent starting salary. Benefits after 90 days: medical, and 401k and corporate matching, etc. Which is some nice et cetera!

Alcohol. It's not like it's going away no matter how much Obama taxes it. And I'm glad to not be stuck behind a desk all day long. Nice folks buying wine and beer and vodka for parties and fun. I started today.

Needless to say, my plans to work west and write and travel must need take a back seat to a REAL EFFIN' JOB!

It's a miracle in this town.

24 comments:

Liberty Girl said...

Huzzah!

Joan of Argghh! said...

Indeed. Who sez whine doesn't pay?

Christina said...

Excellent!

QP said...

Eureka!

julie said...

Woo!
Happy dance :D

Jim - PRS said...

Working in a liquor store! SWEET!!

Congrats.

Zombyboy said...

Indeed, congratulations. I must say that you and booze seem a perfect match.

And I mean that in the good way.

Jean said...

Congratulations!
Have fun with it. :-)




wv: nosiboa (get that sneaky snake away from me!)

robinstarfish said...

Serious congrats, Joan. This calls for a toast...clink...

PeggyU said...

Cheers! :)

Velociman said...

A blogress with the keys to the liquor store. Sounds win-win to me. Make sure you stock up on Val-U-Rite.

joated said...

Congratulations!

Just watch out if Jimbo comes in some day. All your vodka belong to him!

Actually, your list of blogger contacts alone could increase the store's sales several fold.

Betsy said...

Joan that is awesome news. It's been two years since my job was eliminated and I've been managing with my part-time church job but jobs are even scarcer in the social services world and I've begun to realize that I'm too old and "religious" for a lot of folks who do the hiring. I've even been advised to "dumb down" my resume and leave of the Master's degree because it's from a seminary. Geez, Louise. Your news gives me hope to keep the faith, though. The right thing will come at the right time. I do hope you enjoy the heck out of your new career, it sounds like it could be fun and profitable. Yay you!

Edward said...

Best to you, Joan. That is very good news.

pamibe said...

Congratulations! You've landed in one of the few industries that actually pick up customers during hard times. I know I'm drinking more!!

Hope you love it and are able to work there as long as you like. :)

samaBlog said...

Congrats Joan!

jwm said...

Hooray!
Congratulations.
Work. It's a good thing.

JWM

patti said...

SCORRREEE!!!!!!!! Oh Yeah, she's bad - happy dance. And for the important question, do you get a discount?!

Holder said...

yeah, discounts are good, I worked at a liquor store when I was 18. All the beer guys were HAWT! Hope they still are, you'll have to keep us informed...

Joan of Argghh! said...

Hawt Beer Guys? Not so much. Some scrawny, scruffy types so far. Throw 'em back and let 'em grow up a bit.

However, the Wine Associates and Merchandiser guys . . .

Day 2: got hit on already!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

.... excellent news!.... and talk about a dream job!....

Eric

Chris Muir said...

Allrrigghht!

leucanthemum b said...

Let us glaze our ... ahem. Let us raise our glasses and toast the dear Joan! Congrats! (on getting hit on, so quickly, too! It reflects well upon you. ;-) )

Mrs. Who said...

Congratulations! And yep...and when things are tight, alcohol is still cheap way to relax. I refuse to give up my Southern Comfort and Mountain Dew. It's a reward at the end of some of those long days...