Aug 8, 2009

A New Home For the Pepper Dog


Look, this is shitty enough, but it's like this: The Pepper Dog needed a new home. In North Florida, preferably, but that was just my broken heart wanting to keep her nearby. So, my son insisted that he and his bride give her a home in Charleston.

My new job is going to pretty much shut out any sort of life beyond survival, and the long hours away while she waited for me was killing me. And unfair to her.

Hell, it took her almost a year to warm up to me after she was adopted, so it will likely be a daunting task for a new master to win her affections. I bet yummy snacks will help. Still, she's fiercely loyal to me-- a loyalty won through fun places to visit and special attentions-- and she deserves better structure than my job will allow. Retail schedules are a nightmare of days, nights, no two days off in a row, and long, long hours.

She's the sort of dog that needs a job: herding cats, squirrels, kids or cattle or whatever. She won't chase a ball or a stick, she doesn't see a need to expend the energy on inanimate objects. She's all about people, socializing, belly rubs and naps. When she's not given an assigned task, she just patiently naps and waits. No barking, yapping or whining, she just deals the guilt out passively with reproachful looks when you return.

She's the best dog in the whole, wide world, and it's killing for to let someone else provide her with everything the Best Dog in the World deserves . . . because I no longer can. I'd like to think I could at a later date. . .

But, my son came yesterday to take her to his newly acquired home in Charleston. She's having a new adventure with active young folks and, hey, a CHEF for a master is every dog's dream, right? I hope she's dreaming of soup bones, even now.

I sure do miss her, already.



25 comments:

leeann said...

It's way fucking harder than anything ought to be. Doing the right thing ought to make it easier. It doesn't. It might later.
But right now it fucking sucks.
My email is always open for you.

Jean said...

aw, dammit, Joan. I'm sorry!

Suzette said...

There's no question that our dogs are family members. And like family members, there comes a time when a change has to happen even if it's for everybody's benefit. It not any easier when that time comes for a dog that it is for an adult child.

joated said...

Man, that sucks. I feel your pain.

Erica said...

Gott damn...fuck, that blows. Sorry you're sad, Joanie. I hope things get better and you can spoil the hell out of her again real soon.

pamibe said...

Aw, fuck. Been there and know what an absolute hell it is to make the decision, let alone carry through with it.... sucks to do the right thing.

I like what Suzette said.

We're here for you, anytime.

LauraB said...

While glad you made the best choice for Pepper, I know your heart is rent in half for it...

Still, there will be a chance for visitation now and again. And, as you say, some of the choicest bones to gnaw on...

Bless you - hope your heart stops hurting soon...

QP said...

Damn, just damn; undoubtably a heart wrenching, but, nonetheless, a wise and loving decision. Happy for Pepper, sad for you.

julie said...

Oh, fuck, Joan. What everyone else already said. I'm glad she's with your son, though; it's the next best thing to being with you. Not that even that helps much, at the moment.

Ricky Raccoon said...

I'm sorry, Joan.

GUYK said...

Joan, I am sorry. I met the Pepper dog and she is a sweetheart. This is just a gotdam shame.

patti said...

You are a wonderful Mommy. You did what was best, regardless of the pain. Bless you, and thank the good lord your son could take the Pepper Dog. Much the best solution for all involved, and you know that.

Mommy Kudos to you. I've had to face similar situations in the past, I know the pain, and I fear a similar time is in my not too distant future - if I can be strong enough to do what is right.

I know my fear is always that the new home will not care for the four legged member of the family as I would, in this case you can have total confidence.

KeesKennis said...

You have done good girl, even if it is hard.
My heart is with you and the Pepper Dog.
Bless both your animal souls.

kim said...

Man, that sucks. I feel your pain. But you did the right thing. I had to find a new home for Bella the Magnificent last year because I just couldn't give her the time she needed with 14 hour days at work, and the inability to take her out at 2am without losing even more sleep.
At least you can visit her. That will be a big help with the separation anxiety.

PeggyU said...

That stinks, but at least you'll still see her - and who knows what the future holds? Maybe it will be good practice for grandkids :) Everyone has told me you can borrow them when you have free time, enjoy them and spoil them rotten, then hand them back to the parents to unspoil.

Betsy said...

I'm so sorry Joan, I know your heart hurts over this. Mine hurts for you.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

Aw Joan...I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Paul will take good care of her.

God bless you and Pepper Dog, dear.
Hugs

Gecko said...

You'd better get down to Charleston soon to check up on her diet. It's about time America's honeymoon couple took the dog test anyway.
So sorry Joan.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Thanks, all, for your kind comments. I'm a bit better today. Paul tells me that after her initial excitement at traveling, Pepper now keeps watching the door, hoping to see me come and get her.

But she got to go to the coffee shop on Sunday morning and meet a bunch of new friends and get belly rubs and luvs from all. It's a good place for her. I am pleased and blessed, if not exactly happy.

:]

diamond dave said...

A few months ago when we had to move I had to put ours up for adoption because there was no way we could find an affordable place where we needed to be that would properly accommodate him. After the sad deed was done I told my wife that never, ever again did I want to do that. That we would never allow circumstances to get to the point where we would have to give up a beloved pet of so many years. I feel for you.

PeggyU said...

I was thinking over this again, and I hope you do realize what a fabulous career this dog has had. With you she got tons of love and attention, excellent veterinary care, and long walks on the beach. Now she has her own personal chef. I wanna be a Pepper dog!!!

robinstarfish said...

Hopefully the uncontrollable excitement she will exude when she sees you again will make up a little bit for the loss. A little bit.

CastoCreations said...

The right thing isn't always easy to do. I'm sorry you're having to do it but the good news is that she is still in the family. At least you'll be able to see her again. Hang in there!!!

dogette said...

Can't think of anything at all soothing to say. But here I am. Your sweet doggy will be happy having more attention. They love activity and need it to really thrive, as you know, or you wouldn't have given so unselfishly.

Angel said...

Excuse me I was just curious, did your dog have a locating chip in? And was it in Fayetteville NC? Please email me back, jessesgirl08@yahoo.com