Aug 16, 2009

The Perfect Book For Summer

If the Borderline Sociopathic Blog for Boys had a Favorite Book for summer, it should be A Trip of Goats, by Mr. Kim Crawford.

I know, I know, Max Hardberger is still da man, the pirate's Pirate for grown-ups rendered larger-than life by his exploits. But Kim's labor of love and sheer literature has rendered a masterful work of capturing a time and place that is at once unique and ubiquitous; the coming-of-age story that every boy wishes was his own. Well, maybe not in every detail, because after all, this is ultimately a Velociman tale. It turns the familiar "running away to join the circus" story on its head in a way that only Vman could conjure from his fertile imagination. [Note: boys must be THIS tall to read this book!]

This is not just another blogger's self-published indulgence, either. It's well-crafted and expertly edited to where you are convinced you are reading a long-cherished classic. I hope that is what this becomes. It deserves it.

I'm gobsmacked at the perfection of plot and the breezy pace that never once falters or disappoints. You know you're hooked when you don't fast-forward scan a single paragraph, so engaging is the detail. The warm and soft-focused characters appear just as they should in a hazy, humid South; a melange of color and heat melted together just enough to blur the edges. Assorted foils and interlopers are artfully arranged within the plot and I found myself practically grinning in anticpation of how their paths would all eventually pile up on each other. No, I was not disappointed!

You won't be either.

You cannot read this book and not smile, or grin wryly in recognition, or laugh out loud. It's a brilliant bit of sunshine with the occasional clouds added for interest and scope. I can't even do it justice in a review because, after all, I'm a girl.

As I told Vman, ".. . damn it all, if underneath the breezy and lighter-than-air pace there wasn't lurking the most simply touching emotion, profound in its universal pangs of recognition. Just beautiful. Damn you!"

Yeah, it's all that. But this book. You go, now.


8 comments:

patti said...

suitable for 12 year old boys, or boys more of the manish age?
on the surface sounds perfect for my young man?

Joan of Argghh! said...

Er. . . no ma'am. If you Vman's blog you'll see that it's mostly R rated for bawdiness of an adult nature. It is not for the tender or the curious age of 12, although it is about a 12-year old boy.

pamibe said...

My copy is on its way. Can't wait! :)

Jean said...

I fully expected his book to be masterful, engaging and compelling.
I was not disappointed. Wonderful!

Sam (EOTIS) said...

It was better than that hunch punch he makes...

patti said...

thought that might be the case - why i asked. not all that ready for my boy to "come of age" :) if ya know what i mean...

Velociman said...

Joanie makes me blush. I am truly underserving of such encomiums. Thank you, sweetness.

Having said that, I suggest Patti let the little feller read a few chapters. Play it by ear, ya know?

I read GWTW at 12. Of course, Belle Watling was my favorite character, so perhaps I failed to grasp the overarching theme of the thing...

LauraB said...

Still waiting for my hard copy...I cannot stand the waiting when you all know the story...

Sigh...