Sep 16, 2009

Martha's Finest and NBC's "Sing Off!"

My older sister's husband is part of a very talented group, Martha's Finest, that has been garnering some acclaim amongst their peers for their smooth intonations and stylings. There's a very good video of them on that link. My BIL is the guy in glasses, singing the tag for the close of the song.


I have a great memory of driving through the hills of Lookout Mountain, Tennesse, seated with my sister and her then-boyfriend, singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. His voice is one of my most favorites ever, deep and soulful. His family and friends have an annual "hunker down" with gospel quartet and country music around a big campfire, which I was able to attend once and join in. Just a small taste of musical heaven! His daughter, my niece, married a fine musician, too, so the music has grown between new families and gatherings. It makes the world go 'round and life worth living.

So. Sing Off! called, and they answered. Warning: This is a Barbershop Quartet group. They perform for charity events and fun and compete for the sheer fun of singing in harmony. If you know nothing about Barbershoppers, know this: in numbers greater than one, they will spontaneously begin singing, anytime, anywhere. It is in their DNA or something. Oh, and they didn't have to travel far from home to find that photo op scenery!

Anyway, NBC Casting contacted them, asking them to show up for auditions in Atlanta today. They weren't sure if they could make it happen, but it seems like it's a go for them.

I doubt that Barbershop as a genre is likely to win, but it is definitely All-American and will certainly add a nice contrast to many other acappella offerings.

Keeping my fingers crossed!


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Adeline!
Best of luck to them.
Gospel quartets are my secret vice. It's the combo of those window-rattling basses and glass-busting tenors.
Sal

mushroom said...

A while back I took my 9-yo granddaughter to a concert with several Southern Gospel groups. The Kingsmen's tenor is a pretty big guy. The granddaughter thought the guy "singing like a girl" was the funniest thing she had ever seen.

C.S. Perry said...

Right on.

WW Paul said...

Making music is the greatest gift. If they can do more, good for them, if not, they have it all right now.

Never quit.

Sam (EOTIS) said...

Very cool. I've been on Lookout Mountain many times. Did you know Al Capone had a pretty nice crib up there.

During my years in St. Augustine, I had the pleasure of spending some time with his grandchild, Fairchild.

I'm sure the Fairchild Engine and Airplane Corporation, St. Johns was a coincidence.

After all, the river does run bassackwards.

Velociman said...

Although I'm allergic to barbershop quartets I wish them luck. Once had a grand mal seizure during a 4-part rendition of "I'm looking Over a Four Leaf Clover". Amazing how different barbershop quartets are compared to Dixieland jazz, despite the often similar outfits.

Joan of Argghh! said...

I totally understand the allergy, Vman. I can't take it for more than maybe two songs.

But the fun of making harmony, blending voices and bending vocal corners is addictive. I'd just rather do it with jazz stylings.

USS Ben USN (Ret) said...

I like barbershop bluegrass myself.

Good luck to your BIL!