Oct 4, 2009

A New Pirate Town To Live In

It's officially ON. The Pirate Palapa is moving to Charleston, SC. Not a bad town for a pirate, I might add.

Work and circumstances dried up in my little town about a year ago and went downhill from there. Promised job (three months of waiting, two interviews, I worked there before!) never came through, car business was all bust, and by the end of January, we knew the jig was up. I won't go into details, as painful as they are, but in the end we remained with a gracious roof overhead and sustenance for the last eight months.

Add to that the powerful, prayerful ambitions of a beautiful daughter-in-law determined to have her in-laws near, and the fact that the fabulous Pepper Dog lives there now, and well, it might be persuasive in the extreme. But mostly, there is nothing left for us here. And, My Son, the Chef and his darling wife have Charleston eating out of their hands, literally and figuratively so we might as well step into their established community and see what it affords. Besides, we'll be living right.next.door. "Everybody Loves Raymond" next door.

The Pepper Dog will be ecstatic to have four people fighting over who gets to take her to the cigar shop or the coffee shop.

Here, my district manager was at the Humongous Adult Beverage Establishment where I work when I gave notice, so he was almost giddy to let the Charleston branch know of my immanent arrival, so in need are they of good, higher-level help. No need to even take me off the payroll, just a clean transfer. Not that I'm thrilled about the prospects of continuing to sling liquor and preside over teenagers, but lawd knows I'd never work out this hard at the gym. (The traps' and para-spinals are looking fab, btw. It's keeping me young!)

So, off to a state with state income tax and a horrific job market. Hopefully, the J.R. will hook up with a job in the Miata biz, and do some building and racing and maybe make a few bucks, and the young 'uns will grace the world with beautiful offspring that we can help raise to be proper pirates and adventurous.

So, in about ten days it'll be all sails up as we relocate. I left my little town 23 years ago to live in a foreign land for five years, in Mexico City, a city that received us with so much love and warmth. Hopefully, Charleston will be as accommodating.

21 comments:

Sam (EOTIS) said...

Cool Runnings!!!

julie said...

I hope so, too, Joan. Sounds like a move for the best!

joated said...

Well, now. Good luck to you in Charleston. It's a cute little town. And to make the move with a job in hand?? Serendipity! (Even if it's not your ideal job. Like you said, it's keeping you young!)

Suzette said...

Very inspirational. This is my lifeplan, too. Let the kids put roots down someplace good and then move next to them. Nicely done.

Sparrow said...

Good luck on the move! I love Charleston, it's a beautiful city. I'll let you know next time I blow through!

walt said...

New impressions -----> food for the soul!

How refreshing!

The Maximum Leader said...

Good luck with the move. I hope that it goes well and brings to you all the opportunities you want.

Edward said...

Best to you Joan. I think this is a good decision on your part.

patti said...

wrong carolina :) just sayin...

hooray for the pepper dog!!

hoosierboy said...

bestest luck on your adventure

pamibe said...

Sounds wonderful, Joan! Looking forward to new pirate stories!

PeggyU said...

All the best in your move, Joan :)

I happen to think families living close together like that is a very sensible idea.

The dog spoilage will be epic.

LauraB said...

Is it fair to say that this was sort of what I'd been hoping would happen? I am pleased as can be! And nice to be gainfully employed on arrival, too!

And Pepper Dog? Ohhh, the hugs and kisses to come...

YAY! And hurrah, also!

Jean said...

Congratulations and all the best wishes in the world!
Family, good food and near water... oh yeah.

d:-)

Bou said...

One of my favorite all time cities in the South, maybe even top 10 in the country. I spent so much time there in my old job. I loved every minute of it.

Best to you and take in the life experience!

Irrelephant said...

I hear they have some marvelous motorcycling roads. ;)

Jim - PRS said...

Has all the indications of a Win. Best of luck to you and JR.

Velociman said...

You'll love it, I think. Good luck!!

The D.I.L. said...

Yay, M.I.L.! All my plotting finally comes to fruition. I'm so happy!

jwm said...

Best of luck on the move, Joan. Sounds like the web of coincidence is turning in your favor. Let's hope it continues to do so.

JWM

Teresa said...

I'm thinking you're either in the process of moving, or about to head out in the next day or 2. Best of luck on the move. And may you find your new place to be full of warmth and fun. (can't hardly miss if Pepper Dog is there!)