Oct 20, 2009

People in Charleston Have Boundary Issues

The people in Charleston are really nice, if spacially inept. It truly is a different sort of atmosphere here, mostly soggy, and the weather is cool for now, the traffic is bearable, and I haven't gotten lost yet.

I arrived alone on Thursday afternoon and set to cleaning up the little house we rented, sight unseen. It was a pleasant surprise with the hardwood floors and french doors facing south over the deck. The dining room will afford me some marvelous light for my artwork-- which I'm determined to resurrect now that there is room for it.

The hot tub is up and running and after missing it for 9 months, it feels like heaven on my overworked muscles and achy feet. I can just picture how good it will feel after a full 10-hour shift! Met my new overlords at my job. I'll start on the Thursday after the Hysterics at Erics and it'll be full speed ahead into the holidays.

My son and DIL have essentially doubled their living space by having us next door, and have already happily availed themselves of said hot tub. Our bedroom barely holds our king set, but the living room is extra large and we could easily accommodate a small crowd throughout the 1,000 sq.ft. little home. And "square" is the key, being the most uninteresting of old home architecture but certainly the most space-efficient.

The Pepper Dog is quite pleased to have her "pack" back and each morning greets me with real joy and questions about whether or not we're going back home any time soon. But she loves having a back yard (two back yards) and has already claimed her sleeping spot in the living room, of course.

Now if I could just find a place for all the dishes, pots, pans and food. The kitchen is huge, with literally no cabinet wide enough for a simple dutch oven pot, much less any room for dishes.

Otherwise, the drug dealers multi-level marketers across the street keep the neighborhood low-key, not wanting to draw too much attention to their activities, other than the runners that haunt the corner, constantly working the cell-phones and directing customers to the unassuming little house.

Oh yeah, boundaries. People in Charleston are too polite to ever use their horns (or blinkers), they believe that riding in your blind spot on the left-rear quarter-panel is Law, pedestrians all have a death-wish to be directly in the path of hurtling vehicles, and parking lot stripes are a suggestion only. I swear I'm gonna just take a whole raft of pix just to prove it, because I've never seen anything like it. Fortunately, I'm driving a deuce of an old beater Geo that we bought for errands, since the Miatas don't carry much. It's perfect for my half-mile commute to work, and I enjoy parking it next to fancy cars that don't like the suggested parking space parameters. I got'cher boundaries right here, mister.

More, after we get Internet hookup.

11 comments:

Edward said...

Sounds like you have had a happy landing,Joan.

Just keep the Pepper Dog out of the street and away from the multi-level marketers.

pamibe said...

Happy reunions are thrilling! Glad all is well in the 'old' south.

Scritches to Pepper dog!

julie said...

Sounds like Pepper Dog is practically in heaven! I'm glad things are going well so far.

PeggyU said...

That sounds like a good arrangement ... especially for your dog.

IKEA might have free-standing cabinets/pantries for temporary kitchen storage. I have never been an IKEA in the US. The Canadian ones strike me as kind of strange, since their kitchen and bedroom storage doesn't seem to be of the built-in sort. I don't know if that's a Canadian thing or an IKEA thing.

Mad William Flint said...

Sorry. I sorta read "blah blah 'pepper dog is quite pleased'" and smiled.

patti said...

Happy for all...

Sam (EOTIS) said...

It ain't Hysterics at Erics...it is Shovel-Stock. See you soon...

LauraB said...

All good news and I'm glad of it.

Yes, the older homes had not nearly enough storage. I concur on the Ikea - and a pot rack will help free up what space you do have...

And sweet Peppah - no doubt thrilled to really Have It All.

Anonymous said...

... can't be as bad as Mexico City!...... consider yourself lucky!......

dogette said...

Pepper Dog! YES! Excellent news.

It sounds like an episode of "The Wire" across the street. Heh.

Gecko said...

So happy for Pepper Dog who can now herd everyone into the hot tub. So glad happy days are here again and life is beautiful!