Oct 24, 2009

You Had Me At, Chicken n' Waffles

In pure defiance of the Nanny State, Global Warming, Cap and Trade, and the American Heart Association, I fell headlong into a torrid and hopeless state of infatuation with my new hometown. Yes, dear reader, Charleston has the friendliest people (it's true!) with the best ideas:

Chicken. Waffles. Pecan-encrusted fried chicken. Belgian waffles. On a plate. Together. Sweetly surrounded by the confluence of curried honey-mustard, maple syrup and a ritual slab of butter. And it's all about a quarter-mile from my house.

I am in trouble.

8 comments:

patti said...

Charleston is a special place, and that's a fact.

pamibe said...

I must find this mythological place, this Eden call 'Charleston'.

Seriously, never been. It's now on my To-Do list, though... ;)

Anonymous said...

Dang. Can I come visit you?

jwm said...

So. Carolina is one of the very few states I've missed. Get me to I40- fast.

JWM

PeggyU said...

Oh I wish I had eaten something before I read that! They say never go to the grocery store on an empty stomach, but it is unavoidable today!

The Maximum Leader said...

Have you never had Chicken & Waffles before?!!??! I live in Virginia and I've had them (both here and in my travels south). In fact, my younger daughter and I were watching some show on Food Network last week and the host went to a diner known for chicken & waffles. My daughter said that that dish looked good. So good in fact that I made some for her for lunch Saturday...

Joan of Argghh! said...

Never before, your Grace! I have seen that same FN show and simply couldn't imagine that I'd finally get to try it out. Sheer heaven.

Lucky daughter you have!

CGHill said...

I grew up in the Holy City, and there are times when I miss it something fierce.