Nov 3, 2009

Perfectly Understandble

I remember reading the Life Magazine yearbook of the first 50 years of the 1900's, most notably the section on the Great Depression and those "easy little payments", and buying on margin. I was maybe twelve years old at the time, but it stuck with me over the years and no matter what the pols were saying, I knew that truth was knowable if in no other form than history.

History isn't hard, folks. Online Degree is making it even easier. Put aside all the noise of today's elections and punditry and treat yourself to this excellent 6-part series (less than an hour) on the The Great Depression. I just put it on and let it run while I did other things, as there is little to actually see. But the narration is good, the interviews are interesting, and the name-dropping is familiar enough even to modern ears. I played it this morning as I was getting ready for work and it was a good background for my early-morning perusals of my feed-reader.

Better yet, make your teenagers listen to it. It'll sound like today's news, all bright and relevant.

*****

Thanks to the indispensible Presurfer.


4 comments:

patti said...

Thanks! that will make a nice home schooler history lesson for tomorrow :)

Joan of Argghh! said...

Patti, there's so many handy little resources on the Internet nowadays that it must make homeschooling so much richer and interesting. But I think home schooling has always been more expansive and interesting than the crowd-appeasing public schools.

Tune your ears to the first few sentences of the narrator's British accent saying, Wed-ens-day, btw!

:o)

Doux said...

The only place on the planet where the word Great was applicable - right here in the good ol' U. S. of A. Thank you progressive political criminal class. ;~)

Joan of Argghh! said...

Don't forget The Greatest Generation, my friend!