Nov 11, 2009

Thank a Veteran Today

It's good and proper to express gratitude to those who do the most for our Liberty. It makes us a litter bigger in our soul when we reverently remember how many fulfilled life's hardest call of duty:

( Love the video and song. Nicked it from Yabu's crib.)

I made a Vietnam Vet cry last Saturday. He was wearing his ballcap from 'Nam and I commented on it, "that's quite a cap to wear. . ." and he stammered something I couldn't make out. I continued, "thank you, sir, for choosing to wear it. We are in your debt."

He choked up and grabbed my outstretched hand to shake it and said, "Thanks, that means so much. You know we didn't get that when we came back."

"I know," I said, "we still owe you one."

He smiled broadly, with tears in his eyes. He had just come from a memorial service for his comrades in arms and was in deep emotional reverie of the day's events.

Do yourself a favor and find a Vet to thank and honor. On any day.

ADDED BONUS:

8 comments:

Mrs. Who said...

Thank you for a beautiful post. And amen.

Van said...

"I made a Vietnam Vet cry last Saturday."

Not limited to Vets or Saturday.

""I know," I said, "we still owe you one.""

Fine post Joan, rings the heart.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Do yourself another favor and view the second video I just added.
*sniffles and smiles*

Peter said...

Well, Joan, this veteran thanks the United States of America, the country that has given me far more than I shall ever be able to give her.

So I served in a war for a little while. I got to come home and go to work, buy a home, raise a family, retire and see my grandchildren start to grow up tall and proud.

No, Joan, America should not thank veterans, it is veterans that should thank America.

Joan of Argghh! said...

God bless you, Pete, for a fitting word spoken in a good season. We are all blessed beyond knowing.

JihadGene said...

A truly wonderful post!!!

Yabu (EOTIS) said...

You nailed it, as usual.

diamond dave said...

Wonderful. I thanked my father-in-law, who saw front-line combat in Vietnam.