Apr 19, 2010

Summer Vacation? Start Here.

A name of literary renown almost forgotten, Herman Wouk, has emerged again with a marvelous life-work-in-progress book out called The Language God Talks. A short excerpt is all I needed to draw me in.

Calculus, atomic bombs, science and transcendence. Could be any summer story. Could be this summer's reality. It will certainly be my summer extravagance.

What with the latest quantum measurements finding Schrodinger's Cat both alive and dead, and parallel existence as unimaginable-become-probable, it's no time to shrink away from the Mind that draws us to Itself. The world is big, my peeps. But as Wouk hopes to determine, a stage not too big for the drama.

Then I'm gonna re-read A Trip of Goats by Kim Crawford because it's a timeless wonder.



An extremely grateful tip of my wide-brimmed Outback hat to Mr. Reynolds at Instapundit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some of the comments below the linked excerpt make my head spin.

Sounds like a fascinating read. Perhaps even more fascinating are the writings of Feynman himself. He was a local hero when I was growing up in Pasadena - Caltech was in our neighborhood. And my dearest cousin was on a Navy landing ship that was redirected from heading toward yet another landing - this one on the Japanese mainland after the bombs were dropped.

AnonToo

Anonymous said...

Re my last comment, the last sentence should have said:

And my dearest cousin was on a Navy landing ship that was redirected from heading toward yet another landing - this one on the Japanese mainland - after the bombs were dropped.

(Punctuation makes all the difference!)

AnonToo

Anonymous said...

I am reading this book. Richly delicious. A wonderful read. Yes, I am the same Anonymous who is the only other poster on this thread.

Thank you, Joan, for the recommendation! A treasure.

Joan of Argghh! said...

Well, you are certainly welcome. The little that I can do, I do!

I've not yet gotten my copy and your post reminds me to hie myself to Amazon and make it happen. Thanks.